-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Long activity best practice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:57 am 

What is the best way to handle session in a long activity?

I have a scheduled application that need to read many entities (> 30000) and for each entity execute a quite complex calculation (reading children entities, updating data, ...).

Creating a single Session and Transaction seems to be too heavy (I think because the cache grows too much).

It is better to create a session/transaction for each entity?
Or maybe clearing and flushing the cache for each entity?

Thanks

Davide

Post subject: Re: Long activity best practice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:26 am 

dvi2006 wrote:
What is the best way to handle session in a long activity?

I have a scheduled application that need to read many entities (> 30000) and for each entity execute a quite complex calculation (reading children entities, updating data, ...).

Creating a single Session and Transaction seems to be too heavy (I think because the cache grows too much).

It is better to create a session/transaction for each entity?
Or maybe clearing and flushing the cache for each entity?

Thanks

Davide

Hello...

Is there the option of moving this calculation into the Database? You could create a SP that will perform these operations and call it directly.This will allow you to skip NHiibernate completely and do the batch updates directly on the db. (Or scedule a job which will do the updates)

Post subject: Re: Long activity best practice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:38 am 

rdrunner wrote:
Is there the option of moving this calculation into the Database?

Unfortunately it is a quite complex financial operation that requires to call external library for simulation and calculate risk values.

Anyway it is acceptable to have also 1 hour of activity, I only don't known what is the best way to use NHibernate in this case. Suggestions?

Davide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:43 am 
Expert
Expert

This was discussed recently here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]