-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to override a base class annotation for Id generation?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:57 am 

I'm not too strong with annotations, and have very little experience with them in Hibernate although they are used extensively in my current project. I have a situation where I need to change the Id Generator in a subclass.

All our persistent classes extend PersistentClass which has an id property defined thusly:
Code:
@EmbeddableSuperclass(access = AccessType.FIELD)
public abstract class PersistentObject implements Serializable
{
    @Id(generator = "system-uuid")
    @GenericGenerator(name = "system-uuid", strategy = "uuid")
    @Column(name = "oid", length=32)
    private String oid;

I now have a subclass (Interrogation) that requires that the oid be constructed from various bits of data. How can I specify that a custom Id Generator is to be used for this class? Will the custom generator have access to the object for which it is generating and Id?

Post subject: How to override a base class annotation for Id generation?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:14 am 

I guess this can't be done?

I've tried a number of things, with no luck. I suppose I need to break the inheritance relationship between Interrogation and PersistentObject. I'll have to duplicate much of PersistentObject in Interrogation, but I will be able to specify that ids are assigned.

Is this the only solution to this problem? I'm not really pleased with it because of violating the DRY principle, and because breaking the inheritance relationship *could* have other implications that I just don't see at the moment.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]