-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Interfaces and Multiple-inheritence
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:42 am 

Hi,
I've got an object model that makes use of interfaces to provide me effectively with multipe inheritence.

I have the following classes.
  • IContext (interface)
    • Location implements IContext
    • Person implements IContext
  • User
  • UserContext ( maps User to IContext )

My IContext represents a "sphere of influence" for a user. Therefore, if I have control of an IContext I have control over it's children. A Location's children are sub-locations (e.g. UK => England => London => Warehouse => Storeroom), and a Person's children are their sub-ordinates (e.g. MD => Director => Manager => Employee => Cleaner => Mouse => Software Developer *joke*).

To do this I've created a mapping:
Code:
<hibernate-mapping ... >

<class name="IContext">
    <id>...</id>
  </class>

<joined-subclass name="Location" extends="IContext">
    <key column="Id" />
  </joined-subclass>

<joined-subclass name="Location" extends="IContext">
    <key column="Id" />
  </joined-subclass>

<class name="User">
    <id>...</id>
    <bag name="Contexts" ... >
      <key column="User"/>
      <one-to-many class="UserContext" />
    </bag>
  </class>

<class name="UserContext">
    <id>...</id>
    <many-to-one name="User" type="User" ... />
    <many-to-one name="Context" type="IContext" ... />
  </class>

</hibernate-mapping>

This all works well and I'm able to use IContext to map across a diverse set of objects to model them in a common fashion. The problem I run into is that Location and Person need to implement some other interfaces, which I also need to operate in a similar fashion to IContext. At this point I run into a problem because I can only extend a single class or interface, also a class implementing IContext may already have a parent class that isn't an IContext.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this problem?
Would implementing a new IClassPersister to handle interfaces be a decent solution? If so, has anyone already written one? I ask this in complete ignorance of IClassPersister as I've not looked into it yet.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]