-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Annotations no "Assigned" generator type
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:30 pm 

A question that has been bugging me. Here is an example...

I have two tables (Mysql v5.1):

TABLE1: client
FIELD: case_id; int(11), Primary Key, Not Null
FIELD: client_name; varchar(255)

TABLE2: clientlog
FIELD: clientlog_id; int(11), Primary Key, Not Null, Auto Increment
FIELD: case_id; int(11)
KEY `client_index` (`case_id`), CONSTRAINT `clientlog_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`case_id`) REFERENCES `client` (`case_id`) ON DELETE CASCADE

So a client can have more than one log entry (oneToMany). I am using hibernate annotations to map all this in a very simple example.

It seems that Hibernate Annotations does not have an equivalent to generator class "assigned". The field "case_id" is not generated it is given. Instead I used:

Code:
@GeneratedValue(strategy=GenerationType.AUTO)

So if I try to do something like:

Code:
Client c = new Client();
c.setCaseid(24);
em.persist(c);

I get exceptions regarding Client being detached. Which makes sense as I am short-circuiting hibernate.

Does this mean I have to create a new primary key in the Client table just for hibernate? Or is there something else I could do? Interestingly if I use XML mapping (no annotations, using sessions) which gives me the generator class "assigned" it works just fine. It seems to be a limitation of hibernate annotations. Of course, it may have been coded that way for a reason.

Any thoughts on how to approach this would be great. At this point changing the database schema, or the code is a possibility. Just want to make sure I choose the best path.

Thank you.

Post subject: Sory to bump this but I am just really curious
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:05 am 

What happens if the IDs are generated outside of the application. For example - a third party application. In this case the IDs are assigned not generated.

When using annotations it seems you can not use a generator type of assigned. But if you use hibernate XML files and sessions then it works. Maybe I am missing something (would not be the first time). But any information would be great.

Thank you.

Post subject: Hibernate Annotations no "Assigned" generator type
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:00 am 

I figured it out. Do not specify a generator type, simply say it is an @Id.

@Id
private Long t_id;

Then you can use assigned ids.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]