-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hide or encrypt password in nhibernate.config
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 pm 

We have created a desktop client application and we use nhibernate for DB access. The problem is that when we deploy the application on the user's machine, nhibernate.config is also copied on the user's machine and it has a username and pwd which is openly viewable.
Is there some way to hide it or encrypt it?

We cannot use windows NT authentication as that is as against our client's security policies.

How can we go about it so that the SQL server username and password are not exposed ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:18 pm 

If you're using ASP.Net 2.0, the MSDN has information on how to encrypt sections of config files.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998280.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:09 am 

JWLato wrote:
If you're using ASP.Net 2.0, the MSDN has information on how to encrypt sections of config files.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998280.aspx

Since a desktop client was mentioned, i assume there is no ASP.Net involved.

If you want to deploy the connection information onto the client, you dont really have any valid choice to encode the password. Even if you encode it, you must supply the application with a way to decode it, and once it is decoded, you can extract it quite easy from the memory.

Even using the tecnique mentioned above will only allow you to place the password into the user data store or the machiene store. Both places will allow the current user to extract the password on the pc where it is used. Also playing the password into the user store, will require you to send a "plaintext connection" to the client machiene, so it can be placed into the datastore. (You can not encrypt it prior to deployment, since the key used to encrypt it is unknown and different for each pc/user)

So whats left if you want to "secure your password"?

Basically you will be forced to either use integrated security, or you will need to move your data-acess to another server...

I would take a look at the current solution and use it. But I would leave a remark that (most likely) the connection information is available on the client... Since it most likely will be exposed, you should consider setting the rights for the user correctly.

Hope this makes sense...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:52 pm 

Quote:
Since a desktop client was mentioned, i assume there is no ASP.Net involved.

D'oh! I thought I checked that this was a web app; I must have been looking at another thread. The first line of the post even says it's a desktop app.

Anyway, what rdrunner said is best.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]