-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Technical advantage of shards?
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:35 pm 

Hallo,

I just read into the new sharding feature and it sounds very interesting.
From my point of view shards put pretty much flexibility into scaling up your
application/database.
As i come more from the Oracle corner i compare the technology to Oracle products which brings me to this question:

What is the advantage of using Hibernate with n shards vs
using a Oracle Real Application Cluster with n nodes, a SAN in the background and classic table partitioning like range or list partitioning ?

Thanks for answers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:01 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You mean besides saving hundreds of thousands of dollars if not more?

Don't be fooled, Oracle RAC does a lot more that Hibernate Shards. Do you need the additional features is the real question.

I would recommend to take the time to read the Shards doc, the features and the limitations. Same for RAC, then decide what is needed for your project if even needed.

One main thing, Oracle RAC does failover, which is not the purpose of Hibernate Shards . But it is covered by RHEL 5, so RHEL 5 on MySQL + Hibernate Shards is an interesting combination.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]