-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Difference between Interceptors and Listeners
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:52 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi

I have read the http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/reference/en/html/events.html documentation about the Interceptors and Listeners. But what are the real differences between them?
Are there any advantages for the Interceptors?

It is not clear for me with reading this article.

Thanks in advance and greets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, there are a couple of notable differences. You can pass constructor parameters to interceptors. I do not believe that you can do that with the listeners on a session-by-session basis. If the AuditInterceptor needed a username for the current unit-of-work, you could create a constructor to do so: factory.openSession(new AuditInterceptor('username')) . The detriment to using interceptors: you have to use openSession in some form or another to associate the interceptor with a Session.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:57 pm 
Senior
Senior

Interceptors can be session scoped or session factory scoped. If it's session scoped, every session has a separate instance of the Interceptor.

Listeners, on the other hand is only session factory scoped.

Budyanto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:43 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
Listeners, on the other hand is only session factory scoped.

But when I have a ThreadLocal Object which holds some data (password), and I set this password in a filter (in a web app), and then call the threadlocal object from a Listener, then It will not the same password for every user/session?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:15 pm 
Senior
Senior

ThreadLocal variables, as the name implies, is local to the current thread.

Each request is usually executed on a different thread by the web container. So ThreadLocal will have different data on different requests.

Budyanto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:19 am 
Expert
Expert

himawan wrote:
ThreadLocal variables, as the name implies, is local to the current thread.

Each request is usually executed on a different thread by the web container. So ThreadLocal will have different data on different requests.

But, if you are saving the password to a ThreadLocal in a servlet filter (for every request), then you can access it from everywhere inside the filter chain. I already do this for an AuditInterceptor that requires a user key. Works fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:31 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
I already do this for an AuditInterceptor that requires a user key. Works fine.

Then I could do this also with a Listener?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

Absolutely. Anything that runs in the filter chain will have access to this data, since it is in the same thread. If you need some jump start code, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:55 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

@Ananasi

Thanks for your help very much (unfortunately I cant give you no more credits, the maximum for this thread is reached).

Then I use the solution with the Listener, I think that this is better for my case (no code change to an existing web app, only via configuration).

Do you know a general way to get the logged in users password in a web app via the HttpServletRequest? (the UserPrincipal sounds right, but could it be that this data is from the web server conditioned?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:09 pm 
Expert
Expert

wSam wrote:
@Ananasi

Thanks for your help very much (unfortunately I cant give you no more credits, the maximum for this thread is reached).

Then I use the solution with the Listener, I think that this is better for my case (no code change to an existing web app, only via configuration).

Do you know a general way to get the logged in users password in a web app via the HttpServletRequest? (the UserPrincipal sounds right, but could it be that this data is from the web server conditioned?)

Don't worry about the credits, I think I have enough to last a while ;)

The Principal only enforces the getName() method, so that's not going to help you. No well-formed security system (sounds like you are using JAAS) would store unencrypted passwords in the HttpSession or ServletRequest. It really depends on the authentication/authorization scheme, what exactly are you using (BASIC, JAAS, homebrew, etc). You can get the logged on user's name via request.getPrincipal().getName() if the a/a scheme supports it. A few more details could help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:40 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I'm using a form based authentication (via JNDI DataSource) in a Tomcat application server. JAAS says nothing to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

So, if you have the username, you can obtain the password if needed from the datasource, yes? If so, you should be able to get the username from request.getRemoteUser() if you are using BASIC authentication. Does this help, or do you really need to persist the password across requests?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:55 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Im using FORM based authentication. The idea was, that I can use the password from the authentication to encrypt/decrypt some data in the Listener (before saving or loading the data from the DB). But I'm not sure if can get the password directly from the servletrequest (or from somewhere else whithin the reach of the listener)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

Oh, I see what you are doing there! *light bulb over head*

I've got to leave the office now, but I'll ponder this conundrum and get back to you later tonight. Interesting proposition to maintain user encrypted data, at least until they forget their password ;D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:43 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I would be glad to here from you :-)

I saw that I receive an org.apache.catalina.realm.GenericPrincipal (which holds the password) when I call ((HttpServletRequest) request).getUserPrincipal();.

But I think that this is application server conditioned!?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next