-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: mapping a dictionary in a dictionary?
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:20 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I can't seem to find a way to map something like this:

Code:
IDictionary<DateTime, IDictionary<string, Contract.MonthsAttributes>> underlyingContracts

Is there a simple way to do this? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:28 pm 
Senior
Senior

Im not sure if you can map it exactly like that. I do know that you can map a collection of objects that have thier own collection though. So you would have an object like this:

Code:
public class ContractDate{

public DateTime Date{...}
  public IDictionary<Contracts> UnderlyingContracts{...}
}

Then map a Dictionary of ContractDates to another entity and then you will almost get what you are looking for.

I dont know the underlying reasons why you need a dictionary of a dictionary so maybe this will work for you and maybe not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:42 am 
Beginner
Beginner

unfortunately, I need to have a dictionary in a dictionary, for efficient access to the data.

So isn't there any way to do that with Hibernate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:39 am 
Senior
Senior

pejvan wrote:
unfortunately, I need to have a dictionary in a dictionary, for efficient access to the data.

So isn't there any way to do that with Hibernate?

pejvan, why did you reject the provided solution and state that it won't work because of efficiency? In truth the provided solution should be just as efficient (or close enough to be irrelevant) to what you had requested. You will still have a dictionary with a containing dictionary. The access methods would be the same. Your hash would be on the same objects.

I think you dismissed the provided answer way too fast. If there is another reason besides efficiency, then maybe your answer makes sense. Otherwise, I would recommend trying the given solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:40 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Indeed, I might have been through the reply to quickly and I will a second thought on it!!!
Thank you both for pointing me a solution, and also for pointing me that I had dismissed it too quickly

I'll have to give it a try early next week, and will let you know.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]