-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Field vs Property Access
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:55 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Which is better, Field or Property access, and why?

Or perhaps a better phrasing would be, what types of situation are better handled by using Field access rather than Property access and vica versa?

I'd appreciate some feedback on what access type people are using and why.

As a Java programmer my gut reaction is to go with property access, since it preserves the encapsulation. But in reality, persistence is always going to be tightly tied to the internal structure of my object, and I can't see that adding private getters or setters specifically for hibernate actually provides a lot of benefit.

There are some benefits I can see for using property access
  • I can initialize some transient objects that are dependant on the data from hibernate. This is by far the most convincing use case I can come up with.
  • When unexpected values are appearing, it's easier to debug if I can have a debug point on the setter method
  • If I want to change the internal structure but not the schema, I can do so and do the data transformation in the getter and setter

The last two cases are particularly flimsy, but all these cases I'm thinking would be better handled by using field access in most cases and just using the @AccessType annotation to change the access to property for those few fields that need it.

On the other hand, there are some serious disadvantages to property access. First off
  • More Code. Yes, any decent IDE can generate the getters and setters for me, but they're still a maintenance burden. They also clutter up the class making it harder to see at a glance where the actual logic is.
  • When I want null checks or other such business logic in my setters or getters I almost always need two sets of accessors, a private set for hibernate to use without the logic, and a public set for real code to use. This is particularly annoying.

All of this leads me to think I should be using field access most of the time and just overriding it when I need some additional behaviour. But hibernate defaults to using property access which would indicate to me that the Hibernate team believe it's the best option.

Is there some major advantage of property access I'm missing? Or is it just a matter of preference and coding style?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:46 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I was just about to post the same question - glad I did a search first.

I too would like to know the advantage/disadvantage. I'm having some issues that would be best solved by just setting all access to field instead of property, but am wondering if this is wise if, as mentioned by EdC, the default is property.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:50 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Property access allows you to call foo.getId() without initializing a proxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:55 am 
Beginner
Beginner

christian wrote:
Property access allows you to call foo.getId() without initializing a proxy.

Is that the only real benefit? I currently haven't implemented a separate set of accessors for (N)Hibernate, and rarely want to access only the ID of an entity. Therefore would I be better off going to the trouble of implementing a separate set of accessors or just changing all of my access to field?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:48 am 
Senior
Senior

Access methods let you make use of things like AOP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:30 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I use field access by default and enable property access if I implement certain design patterns (Delegate for example) or need the extra lazy behavior of a proxy identifier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:49 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Can only the OP rate an answer? I'd hate for any more kittens to die....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:05 am 
Senior
Senior

I think the admin staff should impliment a dead kitten counter. >.> But then you'd need some kind of cunning algorythem to assess if a post was helpfull or not. ^_^

Post subject: Re: Field vs Property Access
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:49 pm 

I also have a similar question and when I was browsing the Internet, I compiled all related info and posted the same in this article Though late, i thought i would post it here for you!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]