-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Using NHibernate with RemObjects
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:07 am 

Hi,

I'm starting to develop an application that will use the [url=http://www.remobjects.com/product/?id={168C18DC-6022-49A6-9E12-A37D2161C744}]RemObjects SDK[/url] for remote access and i'm thinking about using NHibernate with it, but as i've never used NHibernate before (i just read about it) i have several doubts.

First of all i'll explain the basic idea behind my application.

The application will have a server and a client that will comunicate in a network or over internet, the RemObjects SDK handles all data transfer and stuff so I don't need to worry about coding this I just need to create the methods on the client to send and on the server to get the data and store it on a database.

So playing with it i was able to transfer an object (serializing it) from the client to the server and vice-versa, so i could just fill the object on the server and send it to the cliente or update an object on the client and send it back to the server, so far so good but here is where my problems start to pop up...

If the user wants a list of all the customers, but he only wants their names, so if i use the above aproach the server will send a lot of useless data to the client, because the user just want the names, and i'm sending a whole list of customer objects.

Also if i want to change a name of a customer i don't want to send all the customer data back to the server, but just notify the server that that customer's name was changed, and send the new name, not the whole object back to the server.

So, can NHibernate handle this stuff for me and can it work in this kind of environment? I never used it, so, i'm looking for guidance and how to make this application, i don't want to write my own framework for this, but also i can't see clearly if NHibernate can handle it.

Any help or oppinion is welcome, thanx in advance,

--
Fabio.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]