-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: SmartClients ocassionally disconnected with nhibernate?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:48 am 

Hello,

I am on my first steps to evaluate persistence Frameworks.
Our application will run in a SmartClient environment, there we want to use the SmartClient in occassionally disconnected way (for mobile laptop users)

So far so good. We have data, which may be concurrently be modified. Therefore we decided to use a pessimistic lock. (we may change it to optimistic locking)

The database we are using is SQL Server 2005 and an SQL Server 2005 Express for the mobile laptop users.

Is there any good paper for nhibernate in such an environment?
My needs are:
- how to realize an application server integration of hibernate?
- how to do an remoting of the entities or maybe a mapping of the entities to transfer objects
- how to ensure a pessimistic or optimistic lock on a basis there it is possible to modify some data, which are contained in a big entity-graph, which itself must be consistent to data changes.

The management wants to use a commercial O/R-mapper, but I would like to use nhibernate. Is there any comparision-review of the .net O/R-mapper frameworks?

best regards,
Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:55 am 

really noone here, who has similar architectures/requirements?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:17 am 
Senior
Senior

The point is that you're asking a lot here about complex things. It's not easy to answer that in a few lines and most of it doesn't even depend on NHibernate.
First thing: writing an occasionally connected Smart Client is hard. It's important to define some requirements first from a business perspective (for example, replication/synchronization strategies).

Quote:
The management wants to use a commercial O/R-mapper, but I would like to use nhibernate.

Could you motivate that a little bit more? Maybe the management has very good reasons for a commercial O/R mapper (for example, strong support for disconnected scenario's)?

I am probably playing the devil's advocate here, but it's important to realize that you shouldn't pick a product based on personal preferences, but for business reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:27 pm 

I currently work on a project were we use remoting, hence we use "disconected" objects.
We have data transfer objects, and wrote a framework were the domain objects know about their assemblers through attributes, and a Command infrastructure to load the data, so that we can easily return data transfer objects to pass over our remoting boundery.

It's all custom implementation, but it's nothing too difficult or complicated.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]