-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Issue with the use of 2 sessions.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:00 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hibernate version: 3.1.3

Hi,
I am having some problems with the use of 2 different sessions.

Let's say that I have an object that has a property set to the value "1", I retrieve this object in the first session and have it detached.

In another session, I retrieve this same object, set its value to "2" and save it. It works fine.

Then with the dettached object, I want to decrease this value by one. The problem is that I still has this "1" value... And I will get "0" when I save it as it should be 1 (2-1).

How can I sort of 'update' or get the last value from my DB, just before making operations on a detached object?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:09 am 
Red Hat Associate
Red Hat Associate

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/ap ... ang.Object)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:15 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Thx !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:40 am 
Beginner
Beginner

The answer is good and resolved my problem... however, I am now dealing with another problem...

In session1, I have a member updating his data within a JSF application, in this 'member object', there is a 'credit' attribute which is set for instance to 10.

AT THE SAME TIME, in another session, the admin is updating this same user's data and sets this credit attribute to 15...

If the admin validates and saves the data (through Hibernate), then when the user validates his page, it will overwrite those updates with his own previous values, ie 10 for the credits! Is there a way to avoid this? Can the value 15 be kept since it is newer than the '10' (that has not changed in the user's session)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:00 am 
Red Hat Associate
Red Hat Associate

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/re ... optimistic

Section 11.3.2. I highly recommend number-based versioning, but you can use timestamps also which some find more helpful. It's very simple to enable, just use the "version" feature on an int property. Be sure to read the whole chapter, though, so you understand the semantics of concurrency and the issues surrounding it.

-Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]