-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suggestion: NHibernateUtil.CanInitialize()
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 pm 
Regular
Regular

Hello,

We're using NHibernate 1.2.0beta2 in a WinForms application. The problem I'm going to talk about is the initialization of lazy-loaded collections.

About those collections, there are 3 possibilities when we're trying to access it:
a) the collection is initialized
b) the collection is not initialized, but the object holding the collection is still bound to a (open) session
c) the collection is not initialized and the object holding the collection is no longer bound to a session

Of course (a) is not a problem, everything works fine.
(b) is somewhat a problem, because there's no way to know that the object is still associated to a session.
(c) is a serious problem, because as far as I know, there's no way to know if the collection can be initialized or if the object has to be reassociated to an open session. And trying to reassociate the object with a new session, while there's another open session associated to it, results in an exception.

So for now, we're solving the problem this way:

Code:
public virtual void InitializeFieldCollection()
{
    if (!NHibernateUtil.IsInitialized(this.FieldCollection))
   {
        try
        {
            NHibernateUtil.Initialize(this.FieldCollection);
        }
        catch
        {
       // not associated to an open session
            using (Session session = DataStore.CreateSession())
            {
                session.Lock(this);
                NHibernateUtil.Initialize(this.FieldCollection);
            }
        }
    }
}

(in the above code, Session acts as a wrapper around an ISession-object)

Although it works, I don't like this approach: the try-catch is not very readable and looks messy. Also: Lock() may only be used on unmodified instances, which I'm not sure of at the moment I use it.

So my question is twofold:
- is there any way to know if an object is still associated to an open session ?
- is there a better way to solve this problem, comparing the method we're using above ?

I thought maybe a new method NHibernateUtil.CanInitialize() might help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:11 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Can't you do session.Contains(object) to see if the object is still associated with the session

Job Samuel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:47 am 
Regular
Regular

No, because I need to know if the object is associated with a session in the first place. The object is passed from method to method, the session isn't.

The object itself (or at least it's collections) knows it's owned by a session (otherwise NHibernate couldn't throw an exception when you try to reassociate it with another session while the first one is active), I just don't know how to figure out if there's a session and if it's still open.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]