-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: hibernate.connection.release_mode in jboss-service.xml
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:54 am 

I'm using Hibernate 3.1.3 with Oracle 10 within JBOSS 4.0.4 as follows:
datasource definition (*-ds.xml) + jboss-service.xml + the *.hbm.xml mappings in a har. The problem I have is that that for each prepared statement Hibernate is getting a connection from the pool, but not releasing it after executing the prepared statement. Instead all connections are release at the end of the JTA transaction. I have seen in Hibernate documentation that for JTA I should set hibernate.connection.release_mode to after_statement.

I tried to set this in datasource and it had either no effect or I got errors:
Code:
<xa-datasource>
    <jndi-name>PublishingDB</jndi-name>
    <track-connection-by-tx/>
    <isSameRM-override-value>false</isSameRM-override-value>
    <xa-datasource-class>oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXADataSource</xa-datasource-class>
    <!-- xa-datasource-property name="URL">jdbc:oracle:oci8:@XE</xa-datasource-property -->
    <!-- xa-datasource-property name="URL">jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:XE</xa-datasource-property -->
    <xa-datasource-property name="URL">PUBLISHING_DS_URL_TO_REPLACE</xa-datasource-property>
    <xa-datasource-property name="User">publishing</xa-datasource-property>
    <xa-datasource-property name="Password">PUBLISHING_DS_PWD_TO_REPLACE</xa-datasource-property>
    <!-- ERROR: method not found: ...
   <xa-datasource-property name="hibernate.connection.release_mode">auto</xa-datasource-property>
   -->
   <!-- NO EFFECT
   <connection-property name="hibernate.connection.release_mode">after_statement</connection-property>
   <connection-property name="hibernate.connection.aggressive_release">true</connection-property>
   -->
    <connection-property name="FetchTSWTZasTimestamp">true</connection-property>
    <!-- Uses the pingDatabase method to check a connection is still valid before handing it out from the pool -->
    <!--valid-connection-checker-class-name>
org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor.OracleValidConnectionChecker
</valid-connection-checker-class-name-->
    <!-- Checks the Oracle error codes and messages for fatal errors -->
    <exception-sorter-class-name>org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor.OracleExceptionSorter</exception-sorter-class-name>
    <!-- Oracles XA datasource cannot reuse a connection outside a transaction once enlisted in a global transaction and vice-versa -->
    <no-tx-separate-pools/>

<!-- corresponding type-mapping in the standardjbosscmp-jdbc.xml (optional) -->
      <metadata>
         <type-mapping>Oracle9i</type-mapping>
      </metadata>
  </xa-datasource>

I also tried in jboss-service.xml and I got errors:
Code:
<server>
   <mbean code="org.jboss.hibernate.jmx.Hibernate" name="jboss.jca:service=Hibernate,name=PublishingHibernate">
       <depends>jboss.jca:service=RARDeployer</depends>
       <attribute name="SessionFactoryName">java:/hibernate/PublishingSessionFactory</attribute>
       <attribute name="DatasourceName">java:/PublishingDB</attribute>
       <!-- attribute name="Dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect</attribute -->
       <attribute name="Dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle9Dialect</attribute>
       <!--  ERROR: No Attribute found with name: hibernate.connection.aggressive_release
       <attribute name="hibernate.connection.aggressive_release">true</attribute>
       -->
       <!-- ERROR: No Attribute found with name: hibernate.connection.release_mode
       <attribute name="hibernate.connection.release_mode">auto</attribute>
       -->
       <!-- attribute name="DefaultSchema">profiling</attribute -->
       <attribute name="SecondLevelCacheEnabled">false</attribute>
       <!-- attribute name="CacheProviderClass">org.hibernate.cache.HashtableCacheProvider</attribute -->
       <attribute name="ShowSqlEnabled">false</attribute>
       <attribute name="JdbcBatchSize">30</attribute>
   </mbean>
</server>

Or using "org.hibernate.jmx.HibernateService", the jboss-service.xml became:
Code:
<server>
   <mbean code="org.hibernate.jmx.HibernateService" name="jboss.jca:service=HibernateFactory,name=PublishingHibernate">
       <depends>jboss.jca:service=RARDeployer</depends>
       <depends>jboss.jca:service=XATxCM,name=PublishingDB</depends>

<attribute name="JndiName">java:/hibernate/PublishingSessionFactory</attribute>
       <attribute name="Datasource">java:/PublishingDB</attribute>
       <attribute name="Dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle9Dialect</attribute>
       <attribute name="SecondLevelCacheEnabled">false</attribute>
       <attribute name="ShowSqlEnabled">false</attribute>

<attribute name="TransactionStrategy">org.hibernate.transaction.JTATransactionFactory</attribute>
       <attribute name="TransactionManagerLookupStrategy">org.hibernate.transaction.JBossTransactionManagerLookup</attribute>
       <attribute name="FlushBeforeCompletionEnabled">true</attribute>
       <attribute name="AutoCloseSessionEnabled">true</attribute>

<attribute name="MapResources">publishing/dto/AccountMagazineRole.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/Advert.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/AdvertUsage.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/AdvertUsageSect.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/Asset.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/CommonAsset.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/ConvAdvert.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/ConvAsset.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/ConvRackBg.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/Conversion.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/ConvertedItem.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/Coupon.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/CouponType.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/DynSectGen.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/Issue.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/Magazine.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/MagazineRackTemplate.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/ProdRetailer.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/Product.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/Publisher.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/PublisherAccount.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/PublisherAccountMagazine.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/RackTemplate.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/RecurringModel.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/Retailer.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/Role.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/Section.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/SectionAdvert.hbm.xml,publishing/dto/Template.hbm.xml,
publishing/dto/TemplateCommonAsset.hbm.xml</attribute>

<!-- ERROR: No Attribute found with name: property   
       <attribute name="property">
          <property name="hibernate.connection.release_mode">after_statement</property>
       </attribute-->

<!-- NO EFFECT
       property name="hibernate.connection.release_mode">after_statement</property-->
   </mbean>
</server>

Where do I need to set the hibernate.connection.release_mode and how, because with the above explained structure (jboss-service.xml and *-ds.xml in a har) there are no hibernate.xml or hibernate.properties files.

Thank you very much,
Bucegi Omu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:14 am 

I forgot to mention that the reason for wanting to set the hibernate.connection.release_mode to after_statement is that I'm doing some massive deletes of a whole hierarchy of objects, then inserts of another massive hierarchy of objects, all these inserts and deletes in the same transaction (many of them using Hibernate cascadind) and I get from Oracle an error about maximum number of opened cursors exceeded. Of course, for the moment, I increased the maximum number of open cursors in Oracle dramatically to cover the needs of Hibernate, but this solution IS NOT SCALABLE! So I need either to configure Hibernate so that the connections are returned to pool after_statement, OR, if possible and perhaps even better, to make Hibernate reuse a connection (within a thread and a JTA transaction) from statement to statement (without getting a connection from the pool for each statement). About the second possibility I have absolutely no clue if it is possible and how.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:55 am 

After more investigation it turned out that the Hibernate Service is already setting hibernate.connection.release_mode to after_statement as seen in the http://fisheye.jboss.com/browse/JBoss/hibernate/src/main/org/jboss/hibernate/jmx/Hibernate.java?r=1.3.2.19. I also found on Hibernate site the following "solution" fot "After a while, Oracle throws this exception: too many open cursors": http://www.hibernate.org/120.html#A10, which I doubt (at least so far), reason for which I opened another topic: Hibernate with Oracle: too many open cursors.

Could anybody help me with this?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]