-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is it possible to translate Hibernate Criteria to HQL
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:07 pm 

I know for Query you can get the underlying HQL, but it looks like Criteria and Query are completely different, they dont interact with each other, i am wondering if it is possible to get the underlying HQL/SQL of a Criteria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:34 pm 
Expert
Expert

I guess yes. I seem to remember that hibernate in fact translates Criteria queries into HQL, then translated to SQL. But I didn't look how to retrieve this HQL query if I'm right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:12 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

it is a very stubborn folklore that criteria translates to HQL. Criteria goes directly to SQL, but there is no direct public api to get it programmatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:01 am 
Expert
Expert

max wrote:
it is a very stubborn folklore that criteria translates to HQL. Criteria goes directly to SQL, but there is no direct public api to get it programmatically.

Perfect :-). Now I know it for good. Thanks for reestablishing the truth max :).

Well, at least, it did seem quite logical for me : I thought it'd have been a way of reusing the already done work on HQL to implement Criteria in addition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:01 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

translating twice isn't very efficient ;)

anyhow there is actually work being done to share some of the translation but that is more about sharing the underlying code than the actual language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:23 am 
Expert
Expert

max wrote:
translating twice isn't very efficient ;)

Totally agreed :). But programming is often finding the right balance between performance and maintainability, which is also often opposites.
max wrote:
anyhow there is actually work being done to share some of the translation but that is more about sharing the underlying code than the actual language.

Perfect :).

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to translate Hibernate Criteria to HQL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:38 pm 

I have modified the Hibernate Criteria API to generate JPQL queries by trying to preserve the interface mostly similar. Name of my project is Criteria2JPQL at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/criteria2jpql/

Since this translation is a simple in-memory operation that generates a standard JPQL query, there is not a considerable cost of time. On the other hand, the idea of this project has originated from the poor performing native sql queries of Hibernate Critera including lots of unnecessary joins. We have experienced using Criteria2JPQL in our project at my company and observed those unnecessary joins disappeared.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]