-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: joined-subclass mapping strategy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:32 pm 

I am working hard to replace our project's current persistence approach with NHibernate.

I have determined, I think, that the joined-subclass mapping strategy is the way to go given our database design.

I'll attempt to explain my problem with the following example.

I have a PhoneNumber object with the following class hierarchy:

> Item
> CommunicationItem
> PhoneNumber

Our database has corresponding ITEM, COMMUNICATIONITEM, and PHONENUMBER tables.

**The PHONENUMBER table inherits the column values from ITEM & COMMUNICATIONITEM via triggers.

When I load a PhoneNumber entity, the sql that's executed includes joins to ITEM and COMMUNICATIONITEM (as expected).

Since the values from the joined tables are already in the PHONENUMBER table (copied via triggers), is there a way to configure NHibernate to not include the joins to the 2 "inherited" tables?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:28 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi.

I don't think you are doing it correct..

Or you don't make redundant information into your database, or you don't map your class PhoneNumber as joined-subclass (because it is not acting like one) and just map it like an individual class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:30 pm 

Unfortunately, this is the (inherited) database schema that I have to work with. The idea behind the redundant data was to "speed" up queries.

If I use a single mapping file for the PhoneNumber table, when I save the PhoneNumber object, it needs to also potentially update the ITEM and COMMUNICATION item tables. I'm not sure how to accomplish this... maybe implement the IInterceptor and cascade the save to these tables?

I can't seem to come up with any other options (and I don't see the db schema changing any time soon).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]