-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any non LGPL pool as full featured as C3P0?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:09 pm 

Hello,
For all you users out there.. I was pretty settled on C3P0 since it offered resilience to DB restarts (detects failed connections using idle connection testing and also by interpreting exceptions on active connections to see if the exceptions mean connection failure), and prepared statement caching (I understand it registers all statements on all connections, so effectively ensuring that a prepared statement is used no matter which connection the pool serves up).

However, as luck would have it, C3P0 is LGPL, which is a no-no from Legal's point of view. Hibernate (which also sports an LGPL) itself took a long while to be okayed (separate download etc), but only because there's nothing like it.

Question is: Is there anything like C3P0 without the attached "poison-pill" license? Proxool doesnt seem to have prepared statement caching. Several of the other ones I've looked at either have LGPLs or dont match up to C3P0.

Anyone know differently? Please share..

Thanks in advance,

Sundeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:16 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

While I suspect your problem is political more than anything else, you should point out that the entire point of the LGPL is to allow open source libraries to be bundled with commercial or otherwise non-open source software. That is the reason it's used rather than the plain old GPL.

Hardly a "poison-pill".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]