-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Criteria API problem
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:03 am 

Hibernate Version: 3.2.0-cr5

I have an Inheritance Hierarchy with classes B, C and D subclassing a baseclass A. (A is abstract).

Code:
@Entity
@Inheritance(strategy=InheritanceType.SINGLE_TABLE)
@DiscriminatorColumn(name="type",  discriminatorType=DiscriminatorType.STRING
)
@DiscriminatorValue("none")
public abstract class A {

I had a built a search screen on entity A, the underlying java code was something like,
Code:
Criteria myCriteria = session.createCriteria(A.class);

//take each and every field from the UI
//add it to myCriteria

Now In the UI, I am also presenting the user to search only classes of type B or C or D (Note that there could be multiple choices from user)

If user checks on B and C then I will have to search only those classes. Class A has a discriminator column at the table level. But if I filter based on that using Hibernate criteria API, it is giving nested exception is org.hibernate.QueryException: could not resolve property: type of: com.A

And the session.createCriteria API takes only one class. Can someone suggest some solution for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:22 am 
Senior
Senior

Use the "class" special property. So for example, if you were to refer to filter entries in class B,
Code:
from com.A a where a.class = com.B and <your other filters>

Post subject: "class" property works
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:12 am 

The "class" property works. However, there is one minor change. I had been using the discriminator value for subclasses. The "class" property when used as a criteria boils down to the following in SQL,

from A this_ where this_.[discriminator-column] = [some value]

So, in case you have a discriminator column for B as "valueb" then you must build criteria API like

Code:
criteria.add(Restrictions.eq("class", "valueb"));

Note the value is "valueb" and not the class itself since we had the discriminator value. (when no discriminator value is declared in hibernate annotations/mapping files then the class name becomes the discriminator value)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]