-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Catching HibernateSystemException
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:24 am 

Hi,

I have an object that i want to save into a SQL Server database. Via the following method

Code:
    public void saveLTS(LongTermSession lts)
       throws DataAccessException {
       getHibernateTemplate().saveOrUpdate(lts);
    }

The object has an id column, the value of this is populated by SQL Server (using Identity = Yes in the database schema).

My problem arises when one of our DBAs has to turn the Identity value to "No" - this happens from time to time due to replication problems.

The point is that the information that we are collecting is not vital, I dont want the application to completely fall over if it cant insert a new object.

But at present I seem to get the following, seemingly uncatchable Hibernate error

Code:
2006-09-29 10:55:07,433 - ERROR (org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter:72) - Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'lts_id', table 'dbWeb.dbo.tblLongTermSessions'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
2006-09-29 10:55:07,449 - ERROR (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve:260) - Servlet.service() for servlet springFrontController threw exception
org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateSystemException: not-null property references a null or transient value: com.qas.newmedia.internet.core.lts.model.LongTermSessionEntry.longTermSession; nested exception is org.hibernate.PropertyValueException: not-null property references a null or transient value: com.qas.newmedia.internet.core.lts.model.LongTermSessionEntry.longTermSession
org.hibernate.PropertyValueException: not-null property references a null or transient value: com.qas.newmedia.internet.core.lts.model.LongTermSessionEntry.longTermSession
   at org.hibernate.engine.Nullability.checkNullability(Nullability.java:72)

Can somebody tell me how i can catch this errors?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hibernate version:

Mapping documents:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC
        "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
        "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">

<hibernate-mapping
   schema="dbWeb.dbo"
   default-cascade="none"
   default-access="property"
   default-lazy="true"
   auto-import="true"
   package="com.qas.newmedia.internet.core.lts.model">

<class
      name="LongTermSession"
      table="tblLongTermSessions"
      lazy="true">

<id name="id" type="int" column="lts_id" unsaved-value="0">
           <generator class="identity" />
       </id>

<property name="created" column="created" type="calendar" not-null="true" />
      <property name="webAbacusId" column="wa_id" type="string" not-null="true" unique="true" />
      <property name="siteName" column="site_name" type="string" not-null="true" />
      <property name="userAgent" column="user_agent" type="string" not-null="true" />

<list name="entries" inverse="true" lazy="true" cascade="all">
         <key column="lts_id"/>
         <list-index column="lts_entry_id" />
         <one-to-many class="LongTermSessionEntry" /> 
      </list>

</class>

</hibernate-mapping>

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC
        "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
        "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">

<hibernate-mapping
   schema="dbWeb.dbo"
   default-cascade="none"
   default-access="property"
   default-lazy="true"
   auto-import="true"
   package="com.qas.newmedia.internet.core.lts.model">

<class
      name="LongTermSessionEntry"
      table="tblLongTermSessionEntries"
      lazy="true">

<id name="id" type="int" column="lts_entry_id" unsaved-value="0">
           <generator class="identity" />
       </id>

<property name="created" column="created" type="calendar" not-null="true" />
      <property name="siteName" column="site_name" type="string" not-null="true" />      
      <property name="remoteAddress" column="remote_address" type="string" not-null="true" />
      <property name="remoteHost" column="remote_host" type="string" not-null="true" />      
      <property name="key" column="attr_key" type="string" not-null="false" />
      <property name="value" column="attr_value" type="string" not-null="false" />
      <property name="type" column="attr_type" type="string" not-null="true" />            

<many-to-one
            name="longTermSession"
            column="lts_id"
            not-null="true" />   

</class>

</hibernate-mapping>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:56 am 
Regular
Regular

HibernateSystemException is a RuntimeException:

http://www.springframework.org/docs/api/org/springframework/orm/hibernate3/HibernateSystemException.html

If you want to catch this exception, you will have to write appropriate code for doing the same. Something like:

Code:
public void saveLTS(LongTermSession lts)    throws DataAccessException {

try {
            getHibernateTemplate().saveOrUpdate(lts);
       } catch(HibernateSystemException hse) {
             //do whatever
       }
    }

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:05 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The problem with using Spring is that we dont actually have a handle on the actual objects until we hit our top level controllers since Spring gives us a proxy instead.

Hence I cannot catch the HibernateExceptions at the level you suggest.

What i am trying to say is that these are Hibernate and hence DAO errors but the only way i can deal with them in my code is to catch exceptions at the controller level when I am no longer dealing with a proxy.

Has anyone else found a way around this? We thought about extending the transaction manager?

Thanks

Matt

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]