-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate3 and JPA feature coverage
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:34 am 

Hello,

From what I understood, Hibernate3 can be used as a JPA implementation. But JPA spec seems to be a subset of Hibernate 3 features.

What features in Hib3 are missing from JPA ?
May I code 80% of my application using JPA and the remaining with Hib3 specific features ?
How do I know when I'm coding something standard (i.e. JPA) and when I'm coding sthing specific (Hib3) ?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Hibernate3 and JPA feature coverage
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:37 am 

viewww wrote:
What features in Hib3 are missing from JPA ?

Well, typically, the Criteria API and filters.

viewww wrote:
May I code 80% of my application using JPA and the remaining with Hib3 specific features ?

I don't see any impossibility to do so. The majority of your code will deal with javax.persistence.EntityManager, while some portion will use a org.hibernate.Session...
However, while 80% of your application will not depend on your ORM, the remaining 20% will.

viewww wrote:
How do I know when I'm coding something standard (i.e. JPA) and when I'm coding sthing specific (Hib3) ?

In order to use Hibernate's JPA implementation, you will have to use the Hibernate Annotations and Hibernate Entity Manager extensions.
When using JPA, you only deal with classes from the ""javax.persistence" package (EntityManager, etc.) and your code is indepedent from the JPA implementation.
Whenever you're using "org.hibernate" classes (Session, etc.), you're in Hibernate.

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:02 am 
Senior
Senior

A simple means of accessing Hibernates Native API while using JPA is to cast the EntityManager to the HibernatEntityManager to access the Hibernate Session:

Code:
EntityManagerFactory factory = Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("manager");
HibernateEntityManager hem = (HibernateEntityManager) factory.createEntityManager();
Session session = hem.getSession();

Ryan-

Please remember to rate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:22 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Or even easier, use:

Session s = (Session) em.getDelegate();

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

Even better! Thanks for the tip.

Ryan-

Please remember to rate!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]