-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Get last inserted ID
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:11 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello.

What I want to do is a standard thing. Insert a record into one table, get the database generated ID of the inserted record, relate this ID in a child table.

Now I have got this working by using some SQL but I thought it would be easier in Hibernate, is there a better way to do this?

I save my parent object using merge:
Code:
frameworkManager.saveFramework(framework);
//calls this function in the framework manager
//this works fine
   public void saveFramework(Framework framein){
      Session session = HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory().getCurrentSession();
      session.beginTransaction();
      try{
         session.merge(framein);
         session.getTransaction().commit();
      }
      catch(HibernateException e){
         session.getTransaction().rollback();
         throw e;
      }
   }

What I though would happen is after the framework has been saved using merge that i would be able to call framework.getFrameworkID() and this would return the id that has been generated by the database. This is my mapping for the framework ID
Code:
<id name="frameworkID" column="frameworkID">
  <generator class="identity" />
</id>

But when I call framework.getFrameworkID() I get 0 like it is before the record has been inserted.

Now to work around this I have run a query to get the max() of the last framework and use this ID. The problem I have with this is locking/transaction issues what if another user enters a new framework before I can get the max() thus:

Code:
public Framework getLastEntered(){
   Framework f = null;
   Session session = HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory().getCurrentSession();
   session.beginTransaction();

try{
      int fid = (Integer)session.createQuery("select max(frameworkID) from Framework").uniqueResult();
      f = (Framework)session.get(Framework.class,fid);
      session.getTransaction().commit();
   }
   catch(HibernateException e){
      logger.info("--- error getting a single id");
      session.getTransaction().rollback();
      throw e;
   }
   return f;
}

I tried with session.refresh() and session.update() after the merge but it made no difference.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how I might better achieve this. It must be a standard thing in Hibernate as this is always done in CRUD work.

I am using MySQL 5.

Thanks for reading.
cheers
Martin

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]