-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: LLBLGen tool Vs NHibernate
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:44 am 
Regular
Regular

Hi Group,

I have gone thru both the or mapping tools and i came up with the some points(plse correct me if i m wrong) that

1. In LLBLGen tool, if we use adapter template then there is no concept of lazy loading, all the data needs to be fetched upfront. But in case of NHibernate, lazy loading is supported.

2. Using LLBLGen tool, we can create n-tier application. But with NHibernate, we can create business entities and mapping files. If we want to create DAL in NHibernate, then we have to write our own template( its a pain and time consuming process atleast for me :)

3. In NHibernate, mapping between business entities and database tables has been maintained by mapping file. In LLBLgen, there is no concept of mapping. Business entities has property name and these property name is same as the column name of the database table.

Please add more points on the same front so that I can decide which one to use.

-Thanks
Deepak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:52 am 
Senior
Senior

You ought to read Martin Fowler's Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture book to help you decide what data access pattern will suit your needs. Both methods are viable, but should be driven how you think about your DOmain layer.
I don't get what you mean about a pain creating DAL for NHibernate...if you are using good patterns like DAO or Repositories, it's a snap. NHibernate IS your DAL and MUCH MUCH MORE...caching, lifecycle hooks, community support, replete with established best practices...and a bag of chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:21 am 
Regular
Regular

Using nHibernate Object Mapping 1.1 template, we can create business entities which also contains logic for playing with database. But if we consider llblgen tool, it gives a facility to create business entities and business logic in seperate code files. I mean it gives you layered application. But using nhibernate we can't create layered application, we can just create business entities + login in same file and we have to manually add those files in our project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:08 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
But using nhibernate we can't create layered application, we can just create business entities + login in same file and we have to manually add those files in our project.

Layered applications have been built for years with Hibernate so I don't know what you mean.

There is a tool called hbm2net that I think generates entitites but I haven't ever used it.

I encourage you again to learn some architecture patterns like those in the Fowler book. THey aren't gospel but will help you.

LLBLGen might be just the tool for you if you just want to generate code and think of your domain as just dumb data carriers. Microsoft has a whole community of people who encourage these bad practices so at least there'd be company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:26 am 
Regular
Regular

Can you please provide me the template which I can use in order to create layered architecture.

-Thanks

Last edited by deepakbadki on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:56 am 
Regular
Regular

As per my experience with NHibernate tool, we can create only business logic. For creation of Data Access Layer, there is no such facility in NHibernate. If I am wrong and if you know any template to create layered application for nHibernate then plse plse let me know.

-Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]