-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Removing entities with relationships
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:59 am 
Senior
Senior

Hibernate version: Version with JBoss 4.0.4GA

Mapping documents: None, annotations being used

Name and version of the database you are using: Postgres 8.1.4

I have set up a very simple entity model to test relationships in EJB3. I have no problems in adding to them, and removing an entity so long as it is not used in a relationship (not refered to as a foriegn key value).

The problem occurs when trying to remove the entity when it is used in a relationship be it many to many or many to one/one to many. To give an example of a this in a many to many context.

I have 3 Entities Student, Course, and Institution and all of these relationships are many to many (please see below).
In Student.java the student-course many to many
Code:
@ManyToMany(mappedBy = "students", fetch = FetchType.EAGER, cascade ={CascadeType.PERSIST, CascadeType.MERGE})   
    public Collection<Course> getCourses() {
        return mCourses;
    }

in Course.java student-course many to many
Code:
@ManyToMany(cascade = {CascadeType.PERSIST, CascadeType.MERGE}, fetch = FetchType.EAGER)
    @JoinTable(name = "course_student",
                joinColumns = @JoinColumn(name = "course_id", referencedColumnName = "course_id"),
                inverseJoinColumns = @JoinColumn(name = "student_id", referencedColumnName = "student_id"))   
    public Set<Student> getStudents() {       
        return mEnrolledStudents;
    }

in Course.java course-institution many to many
Code:
@ManyToMany(mappedBy = "courses", cascade = {CascadeType.PERSIST, CascadeType.MERGE})
    public Collection<Institution> getInstitutions() {
        return mInstitutionsRunningCourse;
    }

in Institution.java course-institution many to many
Code:
@ManyToMany(cascade = {CascadeType.PERSIST, CascadeType.MERGE}, fetch = FetchType.EAGER)   
    @JoinTable(name = "institution_course",
                joinColumns = @JoinColumn(name = "institution", referencedColumnName = "institution_id") ,
                inverseJoinColumns = @JoinColumn(name = "course", referencedColumnName = "course_id") )
    public Set<Course> getCourses() {       
        return mCoursesOffered;
    }

I create a course with 3 students on it (3 entries in the association table) and also link this course to 2 institutions (2 entries in the association table). Then i try to call the EntityManager.remove() method from within the same SLSB. The errors i get is this
Quote:
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.jboss.tm.JBossRollbackException: Unable to commit, tx=TransactionImpl:XidImpl[FormatId=257, GlobalId=dale.test.de/50, BranchQual=, localId=50] status=STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION; - nested throwable: (javax.persistence.EntityNotFoundException: org.hibernate.ObjectDeletedException: deleted entity passed to persist: [test.Course#<null>])
at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.handleEndTransactionException(TxPolicy.java:198)
at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.endTransaction(TxPolicy.java:180)
at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.invokeInOurTx(TxPolicy.java:87)
at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxInterceptor$Required.invoke(TxInterceptor.java:197)
at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:101)
at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPropagationInterceptor.invoke(TxPropagationInterceptor.java:76)
at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invokeNext(MethodInvocation.java:101)
at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessInstanceInterceptor.invoke(StatelessInstanceInterceptor.java:62)
at org.jboss.aspects.security.AuthenticationInterceptor.invoke(AuthenticationInterceptor.java:78)
at org.jboss.ejb3.ENCPropagationInterceptor.invoke(ENCPropagationInterceptor.java:47)
at org.jboss.ejb3.asynchronous.AsynchronousInterceptor.invoke(AsynchronousInterceptor.java:106)
at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessContainer.localInvoke(StatelessContainer.java:181)
at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessLocalProxy.invoke(StatelessLocalProxy.java:79)
at $Proxy347.tryDelete(Unknown Source)
at test.TestRelationships.storeData(TestRelationships.java:63)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:155)
... 29 more
Caused by: org.jboss.tm.JBossRollbackException: Unable to commit, tx=TransactionImpl:XidImpl[FormatId=257, GlobalId=dale.test.de/50, BranchQual=, localId=50] status=STATUS_NO_TRANSACTION; - nested throwable: (javax.persistence.EntityNotFoundException: org.hibernate.ObjectDeletedException: deleted entity passed to persist: [test.Course#<null>])
at org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl.commit(TransactionImpl.java:372)
at org.jboss.tm.TxManager.commit(TxManager.java:240)
at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.endTransaction(TxPolicy.java:175)
... 51 more
Caused by: javax.persistence.EntityNotFoundException: org.hibernate.ObjectDeletedException: deleted entity passed to persist: [test.Course#<null>]
at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.throwPersistenceException(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:564)
at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl$1.beforeCompletion(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:484)
at org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl.doBeforeCompletion(TransactionImpl.java:1491)
at org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl.beforePrepare(TransactionImpl.java:1110)
at org.jboss.tm.TransactionImpl.commit(TransactionImpl.java:324)
... 53 more
Caused by: org.hibernate.ObjectDeletedException: deleted entity passed to persist: [test.Course#<null>]
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultPersistEventListener.onPersist(DefaultPersistEventListener.java:90)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.firePersistOnFlush(SessionImpl.java:646)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.persistOnFlush(SessionImpl.java:638)
at org.hibernate.engine.CascadingAction$9.cascade(CascadingAction.java:225)
at org.hibernate.engine.Cascade.cascadeToOne(Cascade.java:213)
at org.hibernate.engine.Cascade.cascadeAssociation(Cascade.java:157)
at org.hibernate.engine.Cascade.cascadeProperty(Cascade.java:108)
at org.hibernate.engine.Cascade.cascadeCollectionElements(Cascade.java:290)
at org.hibernate.engine.Cascade.cascadeCollection(Cascade.java:185)
at org.hibernate.engine.Cascade.cascadeAssociation(Cascade.java:160)
at org.hibernate.engine.Cascade.cascadeProperty(Cascade.java:108)
at org.hibernate.engine.Cascade.cascade(Cascade.java:248)
at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.cascadeOnFlush(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:130)
at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.prepareEntityFlushes(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:121)
at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.flushEverythingToExecutions(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:65)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEventListener.onFlush(DefaultFlushEventListener.java:26)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.flush(SessionImpl.java:993)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.managedFlush(SessionImpl.java:340)
at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl$1.beforeCompletion(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:475)
... 56 more

I cannot figure out what is wrong, I even tried to clear the set and collection first thus leaving the database in the correct state then removing it and it is still the same error. I have also tried annotating with this :

Code:
@org.hibernate.annotations.Cascade( {
         org.hibernate.annotations.CascadeType.ALL,
         org.hibernate.annotations.CascadeType.DELETE_ORPHAN })

but that does also not work.

Can anyone shed any light on where i have gone wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Last edited by andydale on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:50 am 
Senior
Senior

I managed to fix this problem, i was removing the students from the course (clearing the students Set in course.java) and should of been removing the course (collection.remove(course) in student.java)from the students.

Thanks,

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:12 am 

I had similar problem. Before removing record i'm making
Code:
students = this.entityManager.find(Students.class, students.getId());
this.entityManager.remove(entityManager.merge(students));

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]