-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: NHibernate Book(s)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:22 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Is there any good books for NHibernate? Or any tutorials or quick guide. I'm getting a hard time with the documentation. It's so technical. I would love reading on explanations and good use of NHibernate objects or something like that... Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:44 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Most of the documentation and samples for Hibernate are relavent to NHibernate. There a couple things NHibernate does not support yet that Hibernate 3 supports. There are some good books for Hibernate, but not specifically for NHibernate.

Have a look at the starter projects with NHibernate source code and also look at some of the code in the test projects to get a feel for how stuff works.

If you are unfamiliar with ORM tools there will be a higher learning curve for getting used working with the API.

My advice, start small, test, add, test, add, ....
For testing I would use NUnit, mainting database state can be pain, but for starting small you should be able to set everything up in Setup and Teardown methods. The tests are an excellant way to play around with NHibernate until you are used to it.

NHibernate is a very powerful tool, every newbie has been in your shoes, don't get too frustrated yet, it takes a little getting used to.

Best of Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:57 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Ok thanks! I do have Hibernate book (not NHibernate). Just got it from a friend. Better read this when I have time. Pretty much busy on work. Thanks!

So, are there any online tutorials on NHibernate like.... "Query - How to?" or something like "Filter date - How to?". Hehehe. My titles my sound silly but you know what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:37 am 
Contributor
Contributor

There may be NHibernate books in the future, at least that's what I heard from ...

bang

Hey, who are you? NSA!?! What the ...? I didn't do any....

Wait! No, I swear, I don't actually know ...

Just ... Wait! No!

Just let me click ... ow! That hurts! Just a sec ... where are you taking me? What's that needle for? NO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:34 am 
Contributor
Contributor

:))

Seriously, aside the NHibernate documentation, there are many resources available on the internet; most of them are listed in the NHibernate resources page.

If you are just starting with object/relational mapping, there are many tutorials which try to progressively introduce NHibernate, namely the NHibernate Quick Start Guide and NHibernateEg.

Good luck.

Post subject: NHibernate Book(s)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:13 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

It looks like you can now get the NHibernate in Action book. (Currently in MEAP) authored by Pierre Henri Kuaté, Christian Bauer and Gavin King.

http://www.manning.com/kuate/

Given the author lineup hopefully should be a great read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

k-dub wrote:
There may be NHibernate books in the future, at least that's what I heard from ...

bang

Hey, who are you? NSA!?! What the ...? I didn't do any....

Wait! No, I swear, I don't actually know ...

Just ... Wait! No!

Just let me click ... ow! That hurts! Just a sec ... where are you taking me? What's that needle for? NO!

Now, people can understand this post ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:10 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Until NHibernate In Action appears I'd recomment Hibernate In Action.

Not only does a lot of its content apply equally well to NHibernate but I was also impressed that it was actually an enjoyable read and its worth getting it just to get an understanding of some of the theory behind ORM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:41 am 

colinjack wrote:

Not only does a lot of its content apply equally well to NHibernate but I was also impressed that it was actually an enjoyable read and its worth getting it just to get an understanding of some of the theory behind ORM.

How about "Java Persistence with Hibernate"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:46 am 
Regular
Regular

"Java persistence with Hibernate" focus on Hibernate 3.0. As there are many changes between Hibernate 2.0 and 3.0 i would prefer "Hibernate in Action" as this book focus on Hibernate 2.0.

Regards
Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

colinjack wrote:

NHibernate in Action's first chapters are already accessible through the MEAP and the remaining chapters will be released very quickly.
For more details: http://www.manning.com/kuate/
And: http://dotnet.org.za/kuate/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:19 am 

Look good! So could you tell us briefly what makes your book different than "Hibernate In Action"? Put another way, I already has Hibernate In Action. Why do I need to buy "Nhibernate In Action"? And could you design a more complicated domain model as the sample in the book? That will be very beneficial.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:05 am 
Contributor
Contributor

It is more than just a translation of the book, there is new information there specific for .Net.
If you already has Hibernate In Action, of course there is a large degree of overlap between the two books, but that is to be expected, they cover the same subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:23 pm 
Regular
Regular

Depending on the version of NH that you use, you may try (at your own risk :D ) http://www.hibernate.org/379.html.

Hope it can be of some help.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]