-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: session.close() in CMT enviroment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:33 am 

Need help with Hibernate? Read this first:
http://www.hibernate.org/ForumMailingli ... AskForHelp

Hibernate version:

Do I have to close the session, or the JTA does it for me?

If I close the session, the sessionFactory.getCurrentSession() will open a new session, or reopen the closed one? How much expensive it is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:04 am 
Senior
Senior

When using JTA, the Session is closed automatically on commit. There is a danger in closing a session that is returned by getCurrentSession(). If you have 2 or more components involved in a transaction which load data via Hibernate. Suppose that component 1 loads data 1st and calls session.close(). When component 2 call getCurrentSession(), an exception will be thrown stating that the session was closed.

In short: when using a JTA managed SessionFactory let Hibernate do the closing.

Ryan-

Please remember to rate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:32 am 

Thanks,
I was a bit confused, because some said that session object must always be closed at the end of the work, and "in a CMT enviroment you must close if for safety".
I think in case of HibernateException I have to call the session.close() haven't I?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:44 am 
Senior
Senior

Nope. When a RuntimeException is thrown in a CMT environment, the transaction is automaticaly rolled back. HibernateException is a RuntimeException and when the transaction is rolled back, the Session is closed. I can confirm this is true with Hibernate 3.1 under JBoss 4 and WLS 8.1. under Hibernate 2.x, you did have to close the session manually. This is no longer true for 3.1.

Ryan-

Please remember to rate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:40 am 

Remember that hibernate 3.x in a CMT environment implements (and binds) transaction lifecycle interceptors, which are in charge of mantaining resource and session consistency across the different stages of a transaction.

According to the help doc Sessions and Transactions you don't need to close the session.

Guido Scalise

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]