-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Object saved wihout calling ISesson.Save().
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:35 pm 

Hi,

I am working on one ASP.NET 2.0 page. Session per HttpRequest pattern is used with NHibernate 1.01. In the page_load method, I create a new object of a mapped class with:

Order o = new Order();

If the code after this line try to query database in the same NHibernate session with, for example,

CurrentSession.Find(...); //Load for a dropdownlist

The object o will be saved to database without calling ISesson.Save(o). This is strange and wrong because a user may open the page without actually submit.

Any thing I did wrong?

Thanks,

Hongze

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:09 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

What you describe in your post is actually impossible (how is a session supposed to know about your order and save it to the database if you don't call Save on it?), so the problem must be elsewhere. Show us some code and possibly logs where it happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:39 am 
Expert
Expert

sergey wrote:
What you describe in your post is actually impossible (how is a session supposed to know about your order and save it to the database if you don't call Save on it?), so the problem must be elsewhere. Show us some code and possibly logs where it happens.

What if he assigns some persitent object to property of new order and this assoctiation is configured to cascade saves?

Gert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:28 am 
Expert
Expert

You might be making the mistake I made when I first started using NHibernate - calling Save makes the instance persistent and it will remain persistent for the duration of the session in which it was saved. Save does not explicitly save the data into the database - it will be held in memory until a flush occurs.

Using Load, Get, Find, or any other method that allows you to retrieve persistent instances from the database into memory which will be considered persistent for the duration of your session.

NHibernate's transparent persistence means that any changes made to persistent objects in memory will be saved in the database automatically for you unless you change your FlushMode from the default Auto setting - exactly when it actually flsuhes the information into the database is handled by NHibernate.

Executing queries will flush before returning results so that the data in the database matches the data in memory and the query will return up to date results.

The documentation covers all this, but the docs can be a bit of a headfull for a beginner.

If this isn't your problem then just ignore me!

Cheers,

Symon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:50 am 
Contributor
Contributor

gert wrote:
What if he assigns some persitent object to property of new order and this assoctiation is configured to cascade saves?

This is possible, but I assumed he hasn't got to cascades yet :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]