-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: triggers usage with hibernate
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:43 am 

Subject: how to use triggers in hibernate
Date: 24 May 2006 6:09:26 PM GMT+05:30
To: hibernate-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi ,

I have a requirement where i need to audit the insert/update and delete of records in the table , i am using triggers to do this (i know hibernate has interceptors for audit logging) .

I have created the trigger on the corresponding table and started the application ,but when i try to create or insert a record through application the trigger was not fired. when we looked into the database the trigger was droped from the database.
When i debuged the issue i found that when i started the application it loads the hibernate.cfg.xml file where it updates the database schema based on the hbm files (i have commented the hbm2ddl.auto property i think by default it is taking update.)

Following is my trigger(in Postgres) and tables.

CREATE TABLE test
(
lu_uom varchar(255) NOT NULL,
ty_uom varchar(255),
fl_uom_eng_mc bool,
nm_uom varchar(255),
);

CREATE TABLE test_audit
(
action char(1) NOT NULL,
modifiedtime timestamp NOT NULL,
userid text NOT NULL,
lu_uom varchar(255) NOT NULL,
ty_uom varchar(255),
fl_uom_eng_mc bool,
nm_uom varchar(255),
);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION process_test_audit() RETURNS TRIGGER AS '
BEGIN
--
-- Create a row in emp_audit to reflect the operation performed on emp,
-- make use of the special variable TG_OP to work out the operation.
--
IF (TG_OP =''DELETE'') THEN
INSERT INTO test_audit SELECT ''D'', now(), user, OLD.lu_uom, OLD.ty_uom, OLD.fl_uom_eng_mc, OLD.nm_uom;
RETURN OLD;
ELSIF (TG_OP = ''UPDATE'') THEN
INSERT INTO test_audit SELECT ''U'', now(), user, NEW.lu_uom,NEW.ty_uom,NEW.fl_uom_eng_mc,NEW.nm_uom;
RETURN NEW;
ELSIF (TG_OP = ''INSERT'') THEN
INSERT INTO test_audit SELECT ''I'', now(), user, NEW.lu_uom,NEW.ty_uom,NEW.fl_uom_eng_mc,NEW.nm_uom;
RETURN NEW;
END IF;
RETURN NULL; -- result is ignored since this is an AFTER trigger
END;
' LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE TRIGGER test_audit
AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE OR DELETE ON test
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE process_test_audit();

Do i am missing anything here or do i need to mention any property in the hbm file.

Please help me out

Thanks in advance
Rgahavender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:21 am 
Regular
Regular

You believe Hibernate is redefining your database and removing triggers? That doesn't sound right. That sort of behaviour wouldn't make sense. I think you may be misinterpreting what is happening, or there is a pretty serious bug in Hibernate. If that were the intended behaviour, I would consider it to be unuseable.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]