-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Simple Update - Doesn't work? Why?
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:59 pm 

I'm here with quite a noob-ish type question. I don't understand why hibernate will not update my database. I am debugging it in Eclipse, and really, everything appears to be going fine, but the update does not actually happen, and I am left with the same data. No errors are present... please help, and thank you...

Hibernate version:

Mapping documents:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC
   "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
   "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">

<hibernate-mapping default-lazy="false">
<!-- Auto-generated mapping file from the hibernate.org cfg2hbm engine -->
    <class name="com.adsmack.smacklet.news.domain.News" table="news" >
        <id name="id" type="integer">
            <column name="ID" />
            <generator class="increment" />
        </id>
        <discriminator column="newstype" />
        <property name="article" type="string">
            <column name="article" />
        </property>         
      <property name="affiliateID" type="string">
            <column name="affiliateid" />
        </property>

<subclass name="com.adsmack.smacklet.news.domain.AffiliateDailyNews"
           discriminator-value="DAILYNEWS" >
           <property name="dateSubmitted" type="timestamp">
               <column name="dateSubmitted" />
           </property>
           <property name="title" type="string">
               <column name="title" />
           </property>
           <property name="articleLink" type="string">
               <column name="articlelink" />
           </property>
           <property name="linkText" type="string">
               <column name="linktext" />
           </property>
        </subclass>

<subclass name="com.adsmack.smacklet.news.domain.AffiliateGeneralNews"
         discriminator-value="GENERALNEWS" />      
    </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Java Method:

Code:
public void updateDailyStory(int id, String title, String articleText, String link, String linkText) throws Exception {

AffiliateDailyNews story = new AffiliateDailyNews();
   Session s = null;
   s = factory.openSession();

Query q = s.createQuery("from AffiliateDailyNews adn where adn.id = :id");
   q.setInteger("id", id);

story = (AffiliateDailyNews) q.uniqueResult();

story.setTitle(title);
   story.setArticle(articleText);
   story.setArticleLink(link);
   story.setLinkText(linkText);

s.update(story);

} // updateDailyStory

Again I thank you!

--LD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:21 pm 
Regular
Regular

include a transaction...
don´t forget s.flush();
only after the flush will hibernate execute the updates, inserts etc...

You can also specify auto commit in your hibernate configuration

hibernate.connection.autocommit = true

in that case you don't need to use transactions

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:59 pm 
Regular
Regular

You need to get a Transaction from the Session, begin the transaction, then commit() the transaction at the end. You don't need to explicitly flush the session, as that is done by commit().

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:42 am 

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.

I added a transaction, and I am now getting a classCastException on GregorianCalendar even though I am not trying to change the date... here is the new code.

Code:

public void updateDailyStory(int id, String title, String articleText, String link, String linkText) throws Exception {

AffiliateDailyNews story = new AffiliateDailyNews();
   Session s = null;
   s = factory.openSession();
   Transaction t = s.beginTransaction();

Query q = s.createQuery("from AffiliateDailyNews adn where adn.id = :id");
   q.setInteger("id", id);

story = (AffiliateDailyNews) q.uniqueResult();

story.setTitle(title);
   story.setArticle(articleText);
   story.setArticleLink(link);
   story.setLinkText(linkText);

s.update(story);
   t.commit();

} // updateDailyStory

and the error...

Code:
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.GregorianCalendar

I am thinking that because I have a datetime object in my database, when I try to do this update, it is attempting to change that datetime... which I do not want.

Any help is a great help... thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:34 am 
Regular
Regular

I think a full stack trace on the exception would help. There isn't enough information to do anything but take a wild guess. I can see that the dateSubmitted property is a timestamp type, so it may have something to do with that, but I would expect a compile-time error if you were setting the wrong type on that property, not a run-time error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:48 pm 

Here you go

Thanks a lot.

Code:

java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.GregorianCalendar
   at org.hibernate.type.TimestampType.isEqual(TimestampType.java:77)
   at org.hibernate.type.NullableType.isEqual(NullableType.java:160)
   at org.hibernate.type.AbstractType.isSame(AbstractType.java:104)
   at org.hibernate.type.AbstractType.isDirty(AbstractType.java:70)
   at org.hibernate.type.NullableType.isDirty(NullableType.java:186)
   at org.hibernate.type.TypeFactory.findDirty(TypeFactory.java:476)
   at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.findDirty(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2803)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.dirtyCheck(DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.java:467)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.isUpdateNecessary(DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.java:190)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.onFlushEntity(DefaultFlushEntityEventListener.java:113)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.flushEntities(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:195)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.flushEverythingToExecutions(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:76)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEventListener.onFlush(DefaultFlushEventListener.java:26)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.flush(SessionImpl.java:985)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.managedFlush(SessionImpl.java:333)
   at org.hibernate.transaction.JDBCTransaction.commit(JDBCTransaction.java:106)
   at com.adsmack.smacklet.news.persistence.hibernateDAO.HibernateNewsDAO.updateDailyStory(HibernateNewsDAO.java:117)
   at com.adsmack.smacklet.news.business.NewsHelper.updateDailyNews(NewsHelper.java:40)
   at com.adsmack.smacklet.news.presentation.NewsSmacklet.processAction(NewsSmacklet.java:153)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.factory.JetspeedPortletInstance.processAction(JetspeedPortletInstance.java:96)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedContainerServlet.doGet(JetspeedContainerServlet.java:221)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedContainerServlet.doPost(JetspeedContainerServlet.java:344)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:672)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:574)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:499)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.container.invoker.ServletPortletInvoker.invoke(ServletPortletInvoker.java:213)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.container.invoker.ServletPortletInvoker.action(ServletPortletInvoker.java:133)
   at org.apache.pluto.PortletContainerImpl.processPortletAction(PortletContainerImpl.java:164)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.container.JetspeedPortletContainerWrapper.processPortletAction(JetspeedPortletContainerWrapper.java:132)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.valve.impl.ActionValveImpl.invoke(ActionValveImpl.java:87)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline$Invocation.invokeNext(JetspeedPipeline.java:166)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.container.ContainerValve.invoke(ContainerValve.java:76)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline$Invocation.invokeNext(JetspeedPipeline.java:166)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.profiler.impl.ProfilerValveImpl.invoke(ProfilerValveImpl.java:255)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.LoginValidationValveImpl.invoke(LoginValidationValveImpl.java:159)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.PasswordCredentialValveImpl.invoke(PasswordCredentialValveImpl.java:148)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.localization.impl.LocalizationValveImpl.invoke(LocalizationValveImpl.java:169)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.AbstractSecurityValve$1.run(AbstractSecurityValve.java:117)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.security.impl.AbstractSecurityValve.invoke(AbstractSecurityValve.java:111)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.container.url.impl.PortalURLValveImpl.invoke(PortalURLValveImpl.java:67)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.capabilities.impl.CapabilityValveImpl.invoke(CapabilityValveImpl.java:128)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.JetspeedPipeline.invoke(JetspeedPipeline.java:145)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedEngine.service(JetspeedEngine.java:214)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.doGet(JetspeedServlet.java:232)
   at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.doPost(JetspeedServlet.java:259)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
   at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:432)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
   at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
   at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:04 pm 
Regular
Regular

Hi you can´t map your type as timestamp
if you use Calendar as a type in your class!

Code:
           <property name="dateSubmitted" type="timestamp">
               <column name="dateSubmitted" />
           </property>

try type="java.util.Calendar"
or chage the type of the property in your class
I am not sure if you should usa java.sql.Timestamp
or if you can use java.util.Date...

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:13 pm 
Regular
Regular

Yes, you have a type mismatch between the actual persistent object definition and the database. The mapping says it's a timestamp, but the object contains a GregorianCalender instance.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]