-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mapping a hierarchical relation
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:50 pm 

Hello everyone!

I am building a small application and I have encountered a problem that I cannot overcome.

Lets see some SQL:
Code:
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Categories](
   [Id] [bigint] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
   [Name] [varchar](50) COLLATE Polish_CI_AS NOT NULL,
   [Description] [varchar](255) COLLATE Polish_CI_AS NULL,
CONSTRAINT [PK_Categories] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
   [Id] ASC
)WITH (IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[CategoriesTree](
   [CategoryId] [bigint] NOT NULL,
   [ParentCategoryId] [bigint] NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT [PK_CategoriesTree] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
   [CategoryId] ASC,
   [ParentCategoryId] ASC
) ON [PRIMARY]

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[CategoriesTree]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_CategoriesTree_Categories] FOREIGN KEY([CategoryId])
REFERENCES [dbo].[Categories] ([Id])
GO
ALTER TABLE [dbo].[CategoriesTree]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_CategoriesTree_Categories1] FOREIGN KEY([ParentCategoryId])

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Products](
   [Id] [bigint] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
   [ProducerId] [bigint] NOT NULL,
   [CategoryId] [bigint] NOT NULL,
   [Name] [varchar](50) COLLATE Polish_CI_AS NOT NULL,
   [Description] [text] COLLATE Polish_CI_AS NULL,
   [Price] [decimal](9, 2) NOT NULL,
   [Amount] [int] NOT NULL,
   [FromDate] [smalldatetime] NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT [PK_Products] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
   [Id] ASC
) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Products]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_Products_Categories] FOREIGN KEY([CategoryId])
GO
ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Products]  WITH CHECK ADD  CONSTRAINT [FK_Products_Producers] FOREIGN KEY([ProducerId])
REFERENCES [dbo].[Producers] ([Id])

So, we have a categories tree (every category can have one parent and every category can have several children). Also every product has its category and a category has a list of products.

I created the following mapping:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<hibernate-mapping xmlns="urn:nhibernate-mapping-2.0" assembly="NCommercePersistence" namespace="NCommerce.Persistence">
   <class name="Category" table="CategoriesV">
      <id name="Id" column="Id" type="Int64">
         <generator class="identity"/>
      </id>
      <property name="Name" column="Name" type="String" length="50"/>
      <property name="Description" column="Description" type="String"/>
      <set name="Products" table="Products">
         <key column="CategoryId"/>
         <one-to-many class="Product"/>
      </set>
      <set name="ChildrenCategories" table="CategoriesTree">
         <key column="ParentCategoryId"/>
         <many-to-many column="CategoryId"  class="Category"/>
      </set>
      <many-to-one name="ParentCategory" column="ParentCategoryId"  class="Category"/>
   </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

CategoriesV is a view that returns a list of Id, Name, Description and ParentCategoryId. With that mapping file I am able to get data from the database without problems, but unfortunately I am unable to insert/update/delete because of the view (there is a JOIN inside). I tried to create an INSTEAD OF INSERT trigger for that view, but there is something wrong with my mapping and I am still unable to insert new records. I am sure that I did something wrong. And the worst thing is that I do not know what to change...
I can redesign the database schema, I can change classes and mapping file. I just need to get it working. Could any of you, please, help me with that? I spent long hours trying to correct it, but my experience with NHibernate is not enough to do it.
Well, I am not sure, but something tells me that this kind of hierarchical relation is unable to be mapped, when both ends of association are related to one class - Category. Could anyone, please, confirm or deny that? If it is true...what is the best way to solve this problem?

I would really apprieciate any help - all hints are welcome.

Hibernate version: 1.02

Name and version of the database you are using: MS SQL 2005 Developer

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
snake_net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:47 pm 
Regular
Regular

Quote:
CategoriesV is a view that returns a list of Id, Name, Description and ParentCategoryId. [

Alright, first question: why did you just map you classes directly to the tables? I mean a class mapped to CategoriesTree would give you what you need...

I just don't see a need for a View here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:19 pm 

luxspes wrote:
Alright, first question: why did you just map you classes directly to the tables? I mean a class mapped to CategoriesTree would give you what you need...

Well, the answer is really simple. I am quite new to the NHibernate and OR mapping in general, therefore sometimes I try to do something just as newbie does - in a very uncommon way...

So, should I map my Category class not to the Categories table, but to the CategoriesTree?

Are there any tools helping with creating mapping files? I do not need a tool to generate SQL DDL or classes, but rather something to generate a mapping file when I have both tables and classes.

I also noticed a problem with using lazy collections. I get an error that the collection could not be lazily initialized. I will try to solve this by myself, because I am sure that there is a lot of people who had the same problem. For sure there are some posts on this forum... But if any of you could provide a sample code or link to it (how to use lazy collections) I would be really grateful.

Thanks for a very fast reply, luxspes.

Regards,
snake_net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:10 pm 
Regular
Regular

Quote:
So, should I map my Category class not to the Categories table, but to the CategoriesTree?

IMHO you should map each of your tables to a particular class.

It seems to me that you want to use a "CategoriesV" to avoid joins and make things easier.. but with an O/R Mapper that is unnecesary because:

In CategoriesV you have:
Name, Description, Products, ChildrenCategories, ParentCategory

But, if you map each of your tables to its corresponden class then you can get all that data without a view:

CategoriesTree ct = this.Factories.CategoriesFactory.Get(0);
ct.Category.Name
ct.Category.Description
ct.Category.Products
ct.Parent.Category
ct.Children

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:56 am 
Regular
Regular

under performance considerations i prefer to use views if i have a join because they are in general precompiled and faster than dynamic SQL. But Views i strictly use readonly. Nevertheless i map all my tables to classes and use table mapping for inserts and updates.

If you want to generate table mappings and classes take a look at MyGeneration (http://www.mygeneration.com). This is a template based generator and it's freeware. There are predefined templates to generate NHibernate mappings and classes.

Regards
Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:51 am 

luxspes wrote:
IMHO you should map each of your tables to a particular class.

Well, I am not sure if this is possible. I cannot map Categories and CategoriesTree to their corresponding classes, because I need a situation, when one category has all its child categories, and each category points to its parent.
So, it is possible to have such tree:
|-computers
| |- new
| | |- notebooks
| | |- desktops
| |- used
|- PDAs

If I correctly understood your hint, I think that I would not be able to easily traverse tree both up (to the root) and down (to the leaves). I will just have a list of children categories and a parent category for every possible node in my hierarchy, but I would not be able to traverse the tree in the way I wrote above. Or, of course, I can be wrong.

luxspes wrote:
It seems to me that you want to use a "CategoriesV" to avoid joins and make things easier.. but with an O/R Mapper that is unnecesary because:

Well, not exactly. I just want to map my hierarchy to Category class or make it in other way, but I just need to be able to traverse the categories tree in both sides. I used a view only because I was unable, due to my lack of experience with NHibernate, to make it in other way.

luxspes wrote:
But, if you map each of your tables to its corresponden class then you can get all that data without a view:

CategoriesTree ct = this.Factories.CategoriesFactory.Get(0);
ct.Category.Name
ct.Category.Description
ct.Category.Products
ct.Parent.Category
ct.Children

There is something I am not sure about. If I made it as you wrote above, then I will have a list of children categories and, of course, a parent category. But both parent category and children categories will be of Category class so they will not have its parent and child categories. Am I right?
Or maybe you meant that I should make Children a CategoriesTree, and a Parent should only have a reference to its parent (not also to children)?

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
snake_net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:58 am 

luedi wrote:
If you want to generate table mappings and classes take a look at MyGeneration (http://www.mygeneration.com). This is a template based generator and it's freeware. There are predefined templates to generate NHibernate mappings and classes.

I found their website -> http://www.mygenerationsoftware.com/.

Thank you very much for the link, I will check that tool. I think that this is what I looked for.

Regards,
snake_net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:25 pm 

I think that I solved the problem. I need to test it in some particular situations, but for now I think that everything is ok.

Thanks once again for your help.

Best regards,
snake_net

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]