-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: how to forbid replacement of true and false with 0 and 1?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:30 am 

When I try to compare boolean field in a query with a boolean constant, Hibernate first substitutes 1 for true and 0 for false and the whole query goes incorrect, as "Data types must be compatible".

As a fix, I explicitly specified the substitution rule in the hibernate configuration file, it looks like
Code:
<attribute name="QuerySubstitutions">true true, false false</attribute>
(now commented)

Imho it's an ugly trick. Isn't there another way to forbid the substitution?

I've pasted an excerpt from server log and from config file. Note what happens to "where info.active=true".

Hibernate version:

Name and version of the database:
MaxDB 7.5.00

Mapping documents:
<server>
<mbean code="org.hibernate.jmx.HibernateService" name="jboss.jca:service=ipub/PortalKernelService">
<depends>jboss.jca:service=RARDeployer</depends>
<attribute name="CacheProviderClass">org.hibernate.cache.EhCacheProvider</attribute>
<attribute name="JndiName">java:/ipub/hibernate/KernelHibernateFactory</attribute>
<attribute name="Datasource">java:/jdbc/ipub</attribute>
<attribute name="Dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.SAPDBDialect</attribute>
<attribute name="ShowSqlEnabled">false</attribute>
<attribute name="UserTransactionName">UserTransaction</attribute>
<attribute name="TransactionStrategy">org.hibernate.transaction.JTATransactionFactory</attribute>
<attribute name="FlushBeforeCompletionEnabled">true</attribute>
<attribute name="AutoCloseSessionEnabled">true</attribute>
<attribute name="TransactionManagerLookupStrategy">org.hibernate.transaction.JBossTransactionManagerLookup</attribute>
<!--
I had to add this in order to fix the strange Hibernate behaviour: for some reason, it does
substitute 'true' with 1 and 'false' with 0, which is incorrect
-->
<!--<attribute name="QuerySubstitutions">true true, false false</attribute>-->
<attribute name="MapResources">
</attribute>
</mbean>
</server>

Debug level Hibernate log excerpt:

2006-03-29 19:07:33,642 DEBUG [org.hibernate.engine.query.QueryPlanCache] located HQL query plan in cache (select count(info) from com.smartphonelabs.portal.values.UserInfo as info where info.active=true and info.uid != 'UIDREQUEST')
2006-03-29 19:07:33,642 DEBUG [org.hibernate.engine.query.HQLQueryPlan] find: select count(info) from com.smartphonelabs.portal.values.UserInfo as info where info.active=true and info.uid != 'UIDREQUEST'
2006-03-29 19:07:33,642 DEBUG [org.hibernate.engine.QueryParameters] named parameters: {}
2006-03-29 19:07:33,642 DEBUG [org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher] about to open PreparedStatement (open PreparedStatements: 0, globally: 46)
2006-03-29 19:07:33,642 DEBUG [org.hibernate.jdbc.ConnectionManager] opening JDBC connection
2006-03-29 19:07:33,642 DEBUG [org.hibernate.SQL] select count(userinfo0_.p_id)
as col_0_0_ from user_info userinfo0_ where userinfo0_.active=1 and userinfo0_.user_id<>'UIDREQUEST'
2006-03-29 19:07:33,642 DEBUG [org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher] preparing statement
2006-03-29 19:07:33,643 DEBUG [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] could not execute query [select count(userinfo0_.p_id) as col_0_0_ from user_info userinfo0_ where userinfo0_.active=1 and userinfo0_.user_id<>'UIDREQUEST']
com.sap.dbtech.jdbc.exceptions.DatabaseException: [-8006] (at 93): Data types must be compatible
19:07:33,646 INFO [STDOUT] org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: could not execute query
at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.handledNonSpecificException(SQLStateConverter.java:91)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

What type is the active column? If it's bit, then why is 1/0 not correct? And if it's varchar and you're storing those strings true and false, then you can't use boolean/truefalse as the hibernate type.

If your DB has an actual truefalse datatype (or similar), then you'll have to implement it as a UserType. I don't see a MaxDB dialect in hibernate, what dialect are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:14 pm 

Thanx for a reply, tenwit.

tenwit wrote:
What type is the active column? If it's bit, then why is 1/0 not correct? And if it's varchar and you're storing those strings true and false, then you can't use boolean/truefalse as the hibernate type.

It is a boolean column, a quote from the .hbm.xml descriptor:
Code:
       <property
            name="active"
            type="boolean"
            update="true"
            insert="true"
        >
            <column
                name="active"
            />
        </property>

tenwit wrote:
If your DB has an actual truefalse datatype (or similar), then you'll have to implement it as a UserType. I don't see a MaxDB dialect in hibernate, what dialect are you using?

The dialect is org.hibernate.dialect.SAPDBDialect, see my prev post. Is implementing a custom UserType the only solution? I think there must be an easer way out. After all, it's just a standard boolean.

I'm looking for the way to tell hibernate not to replace boolean constants in the query string. Maybe there is a mistake in the dialect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

Actually, I meant what type is the column in the DB? boolean isn't an SQL type. It might be bit, int, smallint, tinyint, char or varchar.

Standard booleans are not written as true and false, so it's not a "standard" boolean. It's definitely a non-standard boolean. If your DB handles "true" and "false" as booleans, and that's what you want to write, then yes I think you're going to have to write a UserType. It's a very special case that hibernate doesn't yet handle. If you can get it working, you might post your new UserType to JIRA with the proposal that it becomes part of the distribution, to handle this MaxDB flavour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:27 am 

It is of sql type "boolean".

MaxDB datatype manual says it really exists and handles TRUE and FALSE. So does Postgresql.

Even more, the BOOLEAN type is present in the standart as optional (has feature ID T031). I suppose the described hibernate behaviour is either a bug or (much more likely) a misconfiguration issue.

I believe there already exists a solution. Maybe someone has an idea where to look for the UserType?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:58 pm 
Expert
Expert

Actually boolean isn't a standard SQL type, but that's the way of DBMS implementors: they do it their own way, not according to the standard. I've googled around and found that a few DBMSs use it, so I guess that someone must have tacked on support for this non-standard data type, especially seeing as JDBC supports it natively (see java.sql.Types.BOOLEAN).

If you can't find a working version, you could try this. I haven't even compiled it, so there's probably bugs and typos, but it should be a good start:
Code:
public class SQLBooleanType implements UserType {
  public SQLBooleanType() {
  }

public int[] sqlTypes() {
    return new int[] { Types.BOOLEAN };
  }

public Class returnedClass() {
    return Boolean.class;
  }

public boolean equals(Object x, Object y) throws HibernateException {
    return (x == y) || (x != null && y != null && (x.equals(y)));
  }

public Object nullSafeGet(ResultSet inResultSet, String[] names, Object o)
    throws HibernateException, SQLException {
      Boolean val = (Boolean) inResultSet.getBoolean(names[0]);
      return val;
    }

public void nullSafeSet(PreparedStatement inPreparedStatement, Object o, int i)
    throws HibernateException, SQLException {
      inPreparedStatement.setBoolean(i, (Boolean) o);
    }

public Object deepCopy(Object o) throws HibernateException {
    if (o==null) return null;
    return new Boolean(((Boolean) o).booleanValue());
  }

public boolean isMutable() {
    return false;
  }
}
That's based off code at http://www.hibernate.org/189.html, written by Matt Dowell.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]