-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Session is Closed Error during Marshalling of POJO
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:23 pm 

I received the following error after upgrading from Hibernate 3.1 to Hibernate 3.1.1.

My application uses stateless session beans to retrieve POJO's from hibernate. Each method call involves opening a hibernate session, retrieving some data, closing the session and finally returning the POJO’s to the client.

I receive the error below during the marshall/unmarshall processing of returning a list of POJO’s on WebLogic 8.1.

The POJO's that are returned are retrieved using HQL. All many-to-one and bags are lazy loaded and are not retrieved in this query.

The object model is as follows.

A list of Labels.

Label contains a many-to-one relationship to NriApplication which contains a bag of FunctionKey.

I reverted back to Hibernate 3.1 and the methods began working correctly.

Arthur Fitt
arthur.fitt@netregulus.com

org.hibernate.SessionException: Session is closed!
at org.hibernate.impl.AbstractSessionImpl.errorIfClosed(AbstractSessionImpl.java:50)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.getPersistenceContext(SessionImpl.java:1794)
at org.hibernate.proxy.BasicLazyInitializer.getReplacement(BasicLazyInitializer.java:100)
at org.hibernate.proxy.BasicLazyInitializer.invoke(BasicLazyInitializer.java:54)
at org.hibernate.proxy.CGLIBLazyInitializer.intercept(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:156)
at com.netregulus.common.businessmodel.shared.NriApplication$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$aad3fbcb.writeReplace(<generated>)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor140.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeWriteReplace(ObjectStreamClass.java:896)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1011)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteFields(ObjectOutputStream.java:1332)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:1304)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1247)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1052)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:278)
at java.util.ArrayList.writeObject(ArrayList.java:529)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor27.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeWriteObject(ObjectStreamClass.java:809)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:1296)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1247)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1052)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:278)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.CBVOutputStream.writeObject(CBVOutputStream.java:78)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.ServerRequest.unmarshalReturn(ServerRequest.java:94)
at weblogic.rmi.cluster.ReplicaAwareRemoteRef.invoke(ReplicaAwareRemoteRef.java:293)
at weblogic.rmi.cluster.ReplicaAwareRemoteRef.invoke(ReplicaAwareRemoteRef.java:247)
at com.netregulus.bt.core.util.ReferenceDataProviderEJB_895xpq_EOImpl_814_WLStub.getLables(Unknown Source)
at com.netregulus.bt.core.util.ReferenceDataProviderEJBProxy.getLables(ReferenceDataProviderEJBProxy.java:168)
at com.netregulus.ui.core.cache.ReferenceDataCache.getLabelWrapper(ReferenceDataCache.java:750)
at com.netregulus.ui.core.cache.ReferenceDataCache.getLabel(ReferenceDataCache.java:776)
at com.netregulus.ui.core.cache.ReferenceDataCache.getLabel(ReferenceDataCache.java:783)
at com.netregulus.ui.core.util.ErrorPage.getLabel(ErrorPage.java:232)
at jsp_servlet.__errorpage._jspService(__errorpage.java:168)
at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:33)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run(ServletStubImpl.java:1006)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:419)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:463)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.TailFilter.doFilter(TailFilter.java:28)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:27)
at com.netregulus.ui.core.filtersandlisteners.LoggingMDCFilter.doFilter(LoggingMDCFilter.java:60)
at com.netregulus.ui.core.filtersandlisteners.NriUploadFilter.doFilter(NriUploadFilter.java:91)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.RequestDispatcherImpl.forward(RequestDispatcherImpl.java:326)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletResponseImpl.sendError(ServletResponseImpl.java:531)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.handleException(WebAppServletContext.java:4056)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.handleThrowableFromInvocation(WebAppServletContext.java:3834)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppServletContext.java:3780)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestImpl.java:2644)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:219)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:178)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:18 am 
Senior
Senior

The error confirms what you say in design:

- Collections are lazy initialized.
- You are closing session before marshalling the object to client.

Once the session is closed, you can not explore uninitialized lazy collections anymore (a lazy initialized collection will gather it's content, using the session, only when required).

The error sudden appearance is probably a consequence of the following hibernate improvement in 3.1.1 changelog:

http://opensource2.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-1290

Solution: don't manipulate object outside session to avoid problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:11 am 

tchize wrote:
Solution: don't manipulate object outside session to avoid problem.

I'm not accessing the collection in my code. It is the marshalling processes, which I have no control over, that is acessing the lazy collection.

Arthur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:49 am 
Senior
Senior

Then close the session after the unmarshalling process, not before (using, for example, a session per request pattern).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:15 am 

tchize wrote:
Then close the session after the unmarshalling process, not before (using, for example, a session per request pattern).

I can't close the session after the marsalling process.The method is coded as below. A PersistenceManager is a wrapped hibernate session. This is a Stateless Session EJB method. It is the container marshalling the list of objects to return to the remote caller that is throwing the exception.

Code:
    public List getColumnLabels(String locale, String tableName) throws NetRegulusException {
        PersistenceManager persistenceManager = null;
        try {
            List labels = null;

persistenceManager = PersistenceManagerFactory.createPersistenceManager();

labels = persistenceManager.executeQuery("nriCached.columnLabels", new Object[] { locale, tableName })
                    .getResults();

return labels;
        } finally {
            if (persistenceManager != null)
                persistenceManager.close();
        }
    }

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:16 am 
Expert
Expert

When you never need the relations you may consider to write your own serialisation methods for your object or declare your collection as transient. I "hope" that this could work.

Alternatively, intialyze your objects.

Sebastian

Training for Hibernate and Java Persistence
Tutorials for Hibernate, Spring, EJB, JSF...
eBook: Hibernate 3 - DeveloperGuide
Paper book: Hibernate 3 - Das Praxisbuch
http://www.laliluna.de

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:21 am 

LaLiLuna wrote:
When you never need the relations you may consider to write your own serialisation methods for your object or declare your collection as transient. I "hope" that this could work.

Alternatively, intialyze your objects.

Sebastian

It's not that I never need them. I don't need them for this particular use-case. I don't want to initialize them because that will run extra queries for data I am not using.

For other use-cases I need the collections populated and call a different EJB method that does initialize that collection.

I don't understand why 3.1.1 forces you to have all colections initialized before serialization when 3.1 and 2.1 did not.

In this case I have selected the exact set of data needed for my use-case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:22 pm 
CGLIB Developer
CGLIB Developer

Try "factory.getCurrentSession()" and do not close session, transaction listener must close it.
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/re ... nt-session

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:35 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

if you can prove that we changed serialization behavior with a small test case then please submit to jira.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:51 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Yep, this is indeed a bug:
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-1392

Post subject: progress
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:39 am 

Has there been made any progress to this issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:01 am 

We have the same problem (Hibernate 3.1.3/Weblogic 9.2.1), see our log:

Code:
[masterdata] 2007-01-17 10:01:16,707 DEBUG [service.AffiliateManagementBean] findByCriteria()
[masterdata] 2007-01-17 10:01:18,159 DEBUG [resource.AffiliateDAO] # entities found: 1
[masterdata] 2007-01-17 10:01:18,781 ERROR [hibernate.LazyInitializationException] failed to lazily initialize a collection of role: com.vangenechten.system.masterdata.model.AddressZone.transportZones, no session or session was closed
org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: failed to lazily initialize a collection of role: com.vangenechten.system.masterdata.model.AddressZone.transportZones, no session or session was closed
at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.throwLazyInitializationException(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:358)
at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.throwLazyInitializationExceptionIfNotConnected(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:350)
at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.initialize(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:343)
at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.read(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:86)
at org.hibernate.collection.PersistentSet.equals(PersistentSet.java:350)
at weblogic.corba.utils.IndirectionValueHashtable.get(IndirectionValueHashtable.java:119)
at weblogic.iiop.IIOPOutputStream.write_value(IIOPOutputStream.java:1792)
at weblogic.iiop.IIOPOutputStream.write_value(IIOPOutputStream.java:1948)
at weblogic.iiop.IIOPOutputStream.writeObject(IIOPOutputStream.java:2209)
at weblogic.utils.io.ObjectStreamClass.writeFields(ObjectStreamClass.java:396)
at weblogic.corba.utils.ValueHandlerImpl.writeValueData(ValueHandlerImpl.java:235)
at weblogic.corba.utils.ValueHandlerImpl.writeValueData(ValueHandlerImpl.java:225)
at weblogic.corba.utils.ValueHandlerImpl.writeValue(ValueHandlerImpl.java:182)
at weblogic.iiop.IIOPOutputStream.write_value(IIOPOutputStream.java:1913)
at weblogic.corba.utils.ValueHandlerImpl.writeValueData(ValueHandlerImpl.java:235)

We have opened a call at the BEA support, but we just receive the following answer : "It appears to be a Hibernite issue.".

Can anyone confirm this serialization problem is a Hibernate issue?
Is it normal that the Weblogic serialization call the equals method on a lazy object?
If I look in the java code of the PersistentSet.java I see this :

Code:
public boolean equals(Object other) {
      read();
      return set.equals(other);
   }

So the call of the equals method (in the Weblogic Serialization process) will also read the lazy data, but I don't need this data. should the equals method be changed?

Thanks in advance for any remarks!

Last edited by zombieman on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:08 am 

We have the same problem (Hibernate 3.1.3/Weblogic 9.2.1), see our log:

Code:
[masterdata] 2007-01-17 10:01:16,707 DEBUG [service.AffiliateManagementBean] findByCriteria()
[masterdata] 2007-01-17 10:01:18,159 DEBUG [resource.AffiliateDAO] # entities found: 1
[masterdata] 2007-01-17 10:01:18,781 ERROR [hibernate.LazyInitializationException] failed to lazily initialize a collection of role: com.vangenechten.system.masterdata.model.AddressZone.transportZones, no session or session was closed
org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: failed to lazily initialize a collection of role: com.vangenechten.system.masterdata.model.AddressZone.transportZones, no session or session was closed
at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.throwLazyInitializationException(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:358)
at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.throwLazyInitializationExceptionIfNotConnected(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:350)
at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.initialize(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:343)
at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.read(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:86)
at org.hibernate.collection.PersistentSet.equals(PersistentSet.java:350)
at weblogic.corba.utils.IndirectionValueHashtable.get(IndirectionValueHashtable.java:119)
at weblogic.iiop.IIOPOutputStream.write_value(IIOPOutputStream.java:1792)
at weblogic.corba.utils.ValueHandlerImpl.writeValueData(ValueHandlerImpl.java:225)

We have opened a call at the BEA support, but we just receive the following answer : "It appears to be a Hibernite issue.".

Can anyone confirm this serialization problem is a Hibernate issue?
Is it normal that the Weblogic serialization call the equals method on a lazy object?
If I look in the java code of the PersistentSet.java I see this :

Code:
public boolean equals(Object other) {
      read();
      return set.equals(other);
   }

So the call of the equals method (in the Weblogic Serialization process) will also read the lazy data, but I don't need this data. should the equals method be changed?

Thanks in advance for any remarks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]