-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Embarrassment: Query timeout & table locking
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:46 pm 

Hibernate version: 3.0.5

Background:
Running Hibernate within WebSphere with container (WebSphere) managed transaction and everything works greatly -- stateless session bean + dao + hibernate -- ...until one day there comes a new requirement which translates to a long standing query (10-20 min). In this case the transaction gets time out after a pre-defined period (e.g. 2 min) and the query locks the tables resulting in other transactions not being able to update them.

Questions:
a) how I can make the query not lock the tables?
b) how can I solve the timeout issue? OR how can I remove the transaction context from the query?

I appreciate any suggestions but please don't tell me 'get rid of WebSphere'.

JB

Code:
<property name="connection.datasource">java:comp/env/jdbc/jndiMyDB</property>      
<property name="hibernate.transaction.factory_class">org.hibernate.transaction.CMTTransactionFactory</property>
<property name="hibernate.transaction.manager_lookup_class"> org.hibernate.transaction.WebSphereExtendedJTATransactionLookup</property>
<property name="hibernate.transaction.auto_close_session">true</property>
<property name="hibernate.transaction.flush_before_completion">true</property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.release_mode">auto</property>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:53 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

not webspheres fault - the locking is controlled by your database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:53 pm 
Expert
Expert

Some ideas
a)
specify no transaction for your EJB method this is possible.
b)
verify if your query does not run into a deadlock situation with other queries.
c)
I am not sure if it possible to setTimeout within a EJBQuery. You may try this or alternatively use a SQL statement and bypass EJB.
With a statement you may use setQueryTimeout.
d)
check for your database if you can change locking policy for your query. In this case you will probably need a native SQL query.
e)
Post more Information about the query and the database you use.

Regards Sebastian

Training for Hibernate and Java Persistence
Tutorials for Hibernate, Spring, EJB, JSF...
eBook: Hibernate 3 - DeveloperGuide
Paper book: Hibernate 3 - Das Praxisbuch
http://www.laliluna.de

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:29 am 

Thanks for the suggestions.

a) For my configuration (WebSphere manages the TX), specifying EJB as no TX will cause problems for Hibernate as it expects a TX. Is it a feature of Hibernate or a bug?

b) For my long running query, deadlock with other database activities is not an issue, at lease for the sake of my testing.

c) Setting a timeout withint a EJB is not easy with CMT - container managed transaction - which is my configuration.
c1) With EJBs, some beans can be specigied as CMT while others BMT.
c2) Is it possible as well with Hibernate to have some TX managed by container and some by my code? Do I have to use two (similar) config files hibernate.cfg.xml's in order to achieve this?

e) DB=DB2 V8.1

Thanks again,
JB

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]