-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good strategy advice required
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:52 pm 

Please advice what is best for the following scenario:
I have 3 tables:
A <- B <- C
i.e. table C references B using a foreign key, while B in turn references A.
What I want to achieve is when class C is being retreived from the database, I need to fetch along with it a property of its corresponding class A. This property is for info only, it will never be updateable.
I need a GOOD strategy for that, preferrably only using mapping files without any additional programming.
I've read all the docs again and couldn't find a proper solution.
So far I know at least 3 strategies for doing this, but none of them suits me (see below).

Please, advice how to do it properly.

Strategy 1
Map all 3 classes using many-to-one and get all 3 instances (A,B and C) fetched from the database when I retrieve the instance of C. So the property of the corresponding class A would be accessible this way:
c.getB().getA().getItsProperty().
I don't like this one because I want to avoid retreiving all the instances while intermediate ones (class B in this case) are needed only for walking through its foreign key towards class A.

Strategy 2
When I get an instance of C, I initialise it's property in my code using HQL. This code may reside either in the code that uses C or in an Interceptor's onLoad() event.
I don't like this approach since it ivolves programming in every similar case. I would prefer using mapping only, if possible.

Strategy 3
Having a property, declared using a formula tag:
<property>
<formula>(select A.myColumn from A join B join C0_)</formula>
</property>
This one is almost what I want, but there's one serious drawback here - it relies on the Hibernate's naming convention for table aliases (C0_ in this case). I don't want to stick with this assumption as if in the next release this naming convention will be changed, I will have to re-write formulas for all these columns.

As I understand, this is quite common problem in DB programming.
(For instance, if you have tables Department <- Team <- Employee you might want to display Employee's department name when you retrieve an Employee.)
I assume there must be a more decent solution for this common problem in Hibernate.
Please, suggest one if you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:52 am 
Expert
Expert

To create entries you will need to use
3 classes and 3 mappings.
e.g. department, team, member
When reading entries a criteria query will help you and will not load anything you will not need.
As lazy is the default, the teams of a department will not be automatically loaded when the department is loaded.
To read all membersand the department info you may create a query as followed:

Code:
      List results = session.createQuery("select  m,d from Member m join m.team as t join t.department as d where d= ?")
      .setEntity(0, department)
      .list();
      for (Iterator iter = results.iterator(); iter.hasNext();) {
         Object tuple[] = ( Object[]) iter.next();
         log.debug("--"+(Member)tuple[0]);
         log.debug((Department)tuple[1]);
      }
      tx.commit();

Please rate if this is ok for you!
Regards
Sebastian

Training for Hibernate and Java Persistence
Tutorials for Hibernate, Spring, EJB, JSF...
eBook: Hibernate 3 - DeveloperGuide
Paper book: Hibernate 3 - Das Praxisbuch
http://www.laliluna.de

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:00 pm 

Thank you Sebastian, but this is not exactly what I was looking for.
This code still retrieves the entire Department object while I only need its single property. Imagine if Department table has 300 columns!

This Department's property will only be a read-only, so it's enough for me to retreive it and never save. In this case loading the entire row from the DB is quite an overhead...

But thanks anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:07 pm 
Expert
Expert

In this case you just change
select m,d
to
select m,d.name

that's all.

Regards Sebastian

Please rate, if this helped.

Training for Hibernate and Java Persistence
Tutorials for Hibernate, Spring, EJB, JSF...
eBook: Hibernate 3 - DeveloperGuide
Paper book: Hibernate 3 - Das Praxisbuch
http://www.laliluna.de

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]