-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Object not persisted despite calls to flush() and close()
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:32 am 

Greetings:

I am attempting to create and save a single object to a single database table. The object appears to be properly mapped, and after some difficulty I have been able to properly load and configure Hibernate to talk to my database.

I am using a Derby v10 database, and my Hibernate configration utilizes Derby's Client Driver (as opposed to the embedded one).

I am not using transactions, associations, or cascades. I am simply persisting one simple class to a single table in my database. My attempt to persist an object to this database uses the following procedure:

Session sess = sFactory.openSession();

sess.saveOrUpdate(nAccount);

sess.flush();
sess.close();

where nAccount is a newly created POJO whose properties are set to some values and whose identifier is set to the "unsaved" value (which, according to documentation, tells saveOrUpdate() that the object needs to be "saved").

According to the documentation and the "ask for help" page, (as well as several statements made in this forum) Hibernate is supposed to actually do the save to the database once the session object's flush() method is called. This, unfortunately, does not appear to be happening.

What is actually happening is that the saveOrUpdate(), flush(), and close() methods are executing without generating any messages or exceptions, but nothing is being saved to the database! I run my test application and everything works without apparent problems, but my database apparently remains untouched.

Have I found a bug in Hibernate's interface to Derby? Or am I missing something?

Someone please advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:46 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

"I am not using transactions"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:49 am 

christian:

Thank you for your reply (I think). Please elaborate.

Post subject: You need to use transactions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:02 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Try:

Session sess = sFactory.openSession();
Transaction t = sess.beginTransaction();

sess.saveOrUpdate(nAccount);
t.commit();
sess.close();

(Typed off the cuff; that's the general idea anyway.)

Best,
Laird

Post subject: Re: Object not persisted despite calls to flush() and close(
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:58 am 

Factor Three wrote:
Greetings:

Hibernate is supposed to actually do the save to the database once the session object's flush() method is called. This, unfortunately, does not appear to be happening.

What is actually happening is that the saveOrUpdate(), flush(), and close() methods are executing without generating any messages or exceptions, but nothing is being saved to the database! I run my test application and everything works without apparent problems, but my database apparently remains untouched.

It's depends: if you are using CMT i.e Container-Managed-Transaction and you code is running in some session bean you are not supposed to see any Hibernate logs after flushing the session or closing it. U should see H messages after the function has been terminated "by" the container.
If U are not using container-managed: i don't know. Sorry.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]