-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Features absent in new forum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

The ability to send a private message to a topic author, and the ability to edit your own posts, are two features of the old forum I miss. Are there any plans to make them available in all the Hibernate forums? Or at least announce why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

Odd, there's also no "Goto Page 1, 2 ... Next" at the bottom of each forum page -- you have to scroll back to the top :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:30 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Send private messages using emails, that's what the technology was made for. Editing posts creates confusion, we have been doing fine on the Hibernate forum without it.

I wonder why so many people need to scroll to "Next Page". I need this once a month...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
I wonder why so many people need to scroll to "Next Page". I need this once a month...

I guess that's 'cause you're not a newbie trying to dig through pages and pages of posts for the results of other people's questions in order to avoid asking a silly question that get you shot down in flames. ;)

Symon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:38 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Actually, I should have said that this was only the second time that somebody wanted the links at the bottom of the page in several years. If I feel like it I'll see what I can do with the templates... But here is my recommendation: Use a browser with tabs and open a few pages at once in new tabs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:45 pm 
Expert
Expert

Regarding sending private messages, email isn't a universal substitute. Many (most?) people don't enter their email address in their profile. When these users start a thread, and the thread hasn't been active in some time, it's nice to be able to send a private message to that user asking them how the issue was resolved (since many threads end with no resolution posted ...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:09 am 

If it matters, I'd like to throw in a "vote" for an edit feature. I thought of it only because I came within a split-second of posting a password (that I use in a lot of places) earlier when I pasted a hibernate.cfg.xml file into a post. If I'd actually posted it, I'd have been very disappointed to find no "edit" feature to enable me to edit it out.

Ok, granted, that's going to happen to somebody about once every 3rd blue moon... but I'm sure there are other good reasons for "edit."

anyway, just a suggestion... and thanks for providing the great support that you guys provide w/ these forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:38 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Nels_P_Olsen wrote:
Many (most?) people don't enter their email address in their profile.

They all have to, otherwise they can't activate the account and post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Please send me an email using the button next to one of my posts ... I dare ya! ;) The email address exists, but it's not publicly visible from the forum. I think this is the point he was trying to make (forgive me if I got it wrong).

+1 for "edit" as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

Another +1 for edit here.

Symon.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]