-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Foreign Key won't be set on related object/table
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:52 pm 

Hi,

I am a NHibernate newbiy but I have experiences with Hibernate.

I have the following problem. Just one relation between a person and an email address:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<hibernate-mapping xmlns="urn:nhibernate-mapping-2.0">
    <class name="Skillworks.Common.Examples.NHibernate.Person, Skillworks.Common.Examples"
        table="PERSON">
        <id name="Id" column="ID" unsaved-value="0">
            <generator class="identity" />
        </id>
        <property name="Name" column="NAME" not-null="true" unique="false" />
        <!--<bag name="Emails" inverse="true" lazy="false" order-by="ADDRESS" cascade="all">
            <key column="PERSON_ID" />
            <one-to-many class="Skillworks.Common.Examples.NHibernate.Email, Skillworks.Common.Examples" />
        </bag>-->

<!--<bag name="Emails" inverse="true" cascade="all" table="EMAIL">
            <key column="PERSON_ID"/>
            <one-to-many class="Skillworks.Common.Examples.NHibernate.Email, Skillworks.Common.Examples"/>
        </bag>-->

<set name="Emails" cascade="all" lazy="true">
         <key column="PERSON_ID"/>
         <one-to-many class="Skillworks.Common.Examples.NHibernate.Email, Skillworks.Common.Examples"/>
      </set>

</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<hibernate-mapping xmlns="urn:nhibernate-mapping-2.0">
    <class name="Skillworks.Common.Examples.NHibernate.Email, Skillworks.Common.Examples" table="EMAIL">
        <id name="Id" column="ID" unsaved-value="0">
            <generator class="identity" />
        </id>
        <property name="Address" column="ADDRESS" not-null="true" unique="false" />
      <many-to-one name="Person" column="PERSON_ID" class="Skillworks.Common.Examples.NHibernate.Person, Skillworks.Common.Examples" cascade="all" />
    </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

The problem is that when I try to save a person with an email I got an SQL error, that the column PERSON_ID can't be null. If I define the colum as "nullable" hibernate is making an entry into the person table and one in the email table but it won't set the foreign key. Now I don't know what I am doing wrong?!

Thanks for every hint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:39 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I think the cascade should only be on one side of the relation. Try setting cascade="none" on the Email.Person many-to-one element. You might also try putting inverse="true" on the Person.Emails set.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]