-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: joined-subclass
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:03 pm 

Hi,

I have two classes:
- Person is a baseclass.
- Employee is a subclass of Person.

These two correspond with the following database tables in a MSSQL database:
- tblPerson. The primary key is personid, an identity field.
- tblEmployee. The primary key is personid.

When I make a new employee, the following happen:
- A new record in tblPerson is made. The identity primary key generates a new number for the primary key.
- A new record in tblEmployee is made (with the corresponding primary key in tblPerson).

OK now I would like to use an existing Person and associate it to a new employee.

Person person = new Person("MyName")
session.SaveOrUpdate(person)
...later
Employee employee = new Employee()
...then I don't know, employee.Id must be equal to person.Id.

Is it possible ?

Greets,
Gicks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:53 am 
Regular
Regular

Generally, yes, ID of your Employee must be the same as the ID of the Person you are extending.

There is a problem, though: from the database prospective your object will be partially new and partially existing. Its "person" part already exists, while its "employee" part doesn't. I afraid in this case neither ISession.Save, nor ISession.Update could work correctly. Perhaps you will need to create record in tblEmployee table by hands and then Update the object.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:58 am 
Contributor
Contributor

If a Person can move to an employee, you may think about using roles instead of inheritance...

Anyway, in your case, you can copy all the information from the person the employee and save it (as long as you don't care about not having the original person.Id)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]