-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lazy Collection Fully Initialized on Add
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

I am working with a standard parent-child relationship. I have noticed that when adding a child to the parent's children collection as described in the documentation under "Example:Parent/Child", the entire collection is completely initialized. Is there any way to prevent this? Since NHibernate is using a proxy for collections, it seems like it could be possible to avoid initializing the entire collection when an item is added.

Is there any way to avoid this hit? Do I have any alternatives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:09 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

All collections except bags are required to return some value from their Add method to indicate whether the addition was successful or what is the position of the new item. Bags are an exception and calling Add on an IList mapped as a <bag> will not cause it to initialize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

A bag did not initialize the collection on an add, so that is good, but an add of a child with a bag mapping doesn't seem to be updating the version of the parent item. Is this by design?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The version should get updated at commit. If it isn't then it's a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

I have verified, the version is not getting updated on an add to the collection. However, an insert into a specific index does cause the parent's verison to update, and a remove from the collection also causes the parent's version to update.

Should I log this as a bug?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]