-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why aren't debug symbols compiled & included?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:31 pm 

I understand why you do not release the SNK file with NHibernate, but without it, I cannot compile it and keep my references in my projects intact. The log4net output often isn't enough to find problems (I'm getting a null reference exception, and it doesn't say why), and would like to step into the code & see the line it dies on. I cannot do this without the debug symbols (pdb files).

Could you please ship the PDB files with all NHibernate releases? All that is needed to be done is to mark the project to generate them for both Debug and Release mode.

I would greatly appreciate this. Otherwise I have to compile it myself and then replace all references to NHibernate in my projects, then change back when I want to go back to the official release.

-Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:13 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Here is how I do it, I compile it myself and just copy the nhibernate.dll & nhibernate.pdb to the proper location, now it's working against a debug bulid and I get the line numbers.

To compile, I simply removed the key file attribute from the assemblyinfo.cs file

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:51 am 

The problem with that is that our code is signed and you cannot use unsigned code from signed code without errors. If I sign the NHibernate code with my own key, the reference in the project treats it as a completely different assembly, and thus every time I go between the official release and the one with debug symbols, I have to update all my references in each assembly and re-compile, which is not a possible solution with a large amount of assemblies in the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:17 pm 
Regular
Regular

arobinson wrote:
The problem with that is that our code is signed and you cannot use unsigned code from signed code without errors. If I sign the NHibernate code with my own key, the reference in the project treats it as a completely different assembly, and thus every time I go between the official release and the one with debug symbols, I have to update all my references in each assembly and re-compile, which is not a possible solution with a large amount of assemblies in the system.

You can put assembly tags in your config file to redirect it to the full name with the different public signature.

BOb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:58 pm 

Didn't think of that, good point. Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]