-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Obtain readonly entity?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:25 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

There is some discussion going on in my place of employment about Hibernate's behavior in always returning new instances of objects from the second-level cache rather than returning a single cached instance (in comparsion with TopLink, which does the latter). The issue under discussion is the efficiency of creating unnecessary instances. I personally prefer the way Hibernate does it because it just seems generally safer, but I'm wondering if there is an option for obtaining a sort of "readonly" instance which could be shared between multiple users/threads safely because it will never be modified. The developer would take responsibility for ensuring that no changes will be made to the object's state. In other words, you might have a "findForEdit" and a "findForView" method for an entity. The former will always give you your own instance, and the latter would give you a shared instance that you have to make sure is never modified.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:26 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Bumping and hoping for a reply

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]