-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate, Ant, and Eclipse debugging
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:51 pm 

Hi,
I'm using Hibernate 3.0 with Eclipse 3.1, and I'm having a bit of a hard time running Eclipse's debugger on my programs. Following a book on Hibernate I got, I am using Ant to build and run my programs.

I have tried running the binary built by Ant in Eclipse's debugger, but it seems to have a hard time dealing with the log4j/commons-logging initialization that Ant handles fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on getting the debugger started? Is it possible to just stop using Ant, and build the programs directly within Eclipse?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:24 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on getting the debugger started? Is it possible to just stop using Ant, and build the programs directly within Eclipse?

It is possible, but not always easy to get the directory structure correct, and it depends very much on your individual project build setup.

If all the JAR files are referenced in your build path (and bear in mind that there are some run time JARs that are required by hibernate and others that aren't required for a build, such as cglib), and your hibernate config files and mapping files are available, then you should be able to have Eclipse automagically run your code.

If you could post more information about the issue, then I would be happy to help out.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:53 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for the reply and the offer of help - muy gentil, as they say in Spanish. :)

I did get as far as adding all the jars to the build path, and that seemed to work until I stepped into initialization of the logger, which stopped the debugger, apparently because it didn't know where to look for the properties file that controls the logger. It seems that ant somehow takes care of this initialization.

Is this enough detail? If not, I can post more later (the problematic Eclipse project is on my computer at home).

Many thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:38 am 
Beginner
Beginner

whalesuit wrote:
... that seemed to work until I stepped into initialization of the logger, which stopped the debugger, apparently because it didn't know where to look for the properties file that controls the logger. It seems that ant somehow takes care of this initialization.

Eric,
Firstly, sorry this took a while; I'm in the middle of moving house, so a bit snowed under!

When you say 'the logger', do you mean apache commons logging / log4j ? Are the JAR files for this in your build path also? In both of these cases there is in fact no need to include a properties file; the logger will by default write to stdout just fine.

Hope this gives you more pointers - let me know if you need more help (and I'll try and answer quickly!)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]