-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: performance of selects with in elements statements
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:12 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I have a situation where because of some business requirement i often filter queries using an in statement that checks to see if a value is in a group of elements.
That group of elements is fairly small; between 2-10. So I was wondering if it is more efficient to do a
and (value = ? or value = ? or value = ?)
rather than
and value in elements(?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

if you check elements in database EXISTS is better than IN, but if you do it in java i think that isn't important - compiler will optimize it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

snpesnpe wrote:
if you check elements in database EXISTS is better than IN, but if you do it in java i think that isn't important - compiler will optimize it

well that was what I was hoping, if it auto optimizes it it makes my life easy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]