-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Support a way to turn off automatic dirty checking.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:04 am 

Previusly at JIRA:

Jose Peleteiro:
Automatic dirty checking is a nice features, but at the old-fashioned design (dao.new(), dao.save()) it's not nice.
It may be possible to turn it off at configuration file.

Christian Bauer:
Use a stateless session, read the documentation.

Jose Peleteiro:
StatelessSession does not solve that problem since cache, cascade, event-model, listener, lazy-load... will not work as well.

What I am asking is a way to just turn off automatic dirty checking and continue to use all those features. Is it that bad?

How can I do this (bellow) with automatic dirty, without my client knows that he is using HB, and with lazy-load, cache and etc?

SomeEntity e1 = dao.findById(1);
SomeEntity e2 = dao.findById(1);

e1.setXYZ(123);
e2.setXYZ(123);

if (validation(e1)) dao.save(e1);
if (validation(e2)) dao.save(e1);

Okay, I could do it in a different way, but it is a legancy code and I wish to use Hibernate.

I can understand you all love dirty check (I think its cool as well, but not at every design) and have no focus on it, but if I submit a patch on it, is it welcome?

---------------------------------------------------------------
From StatelessSession JavaDoc:
A command-oriented API for performing bulk operations against a database.

A stateless session does not implement a first-level cache nor interact with any second-level cache, nor does it implement transactional write-behind or automatic dirty checking, nor do operations cascade to associated instances. Collections are ignored by a stateless session. Operations performed via a stateless session bypass Hibernate's event model and interceptors. Stateless sessions are vulnerable to data aliasing effects, due to the lack of a first-level cache.

For certain kinds of transactions, a stateless session may perform slightly faster than a stateful session.

Christian Bauer:
So write a custom interceptor that does nothing on isDirty(). Please continue asking usage questions on the user forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:13 am 

Can you elaborate a little more? I could not find isDirty at org.hibernate.Interceptor nor at event system, neither I found reading the javadocs.

If you meant to say findDirty if I always return a empty int[] shouldn´t it prevent hibernate to save everythink?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:15 pm 

No one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:22 pm 

the method is findDirty. If I understand the behavior you're looking for, you'd need findDirty to be able to tell somehow that your entity is one your application has explicitely marked for save. Perhaps a transient flag?

Post subject: Re: Support a way to turn off automatic dirty checking.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:35 pm 

Hey juzepeleteiro, did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]