-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Does Hibernate detect wrong inserts in a FK?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:02 am 

Hi,

I'm new in hibernate and have a simple question. When I don't create any keys in a db itself, just in the mapping-files of hibernate I create ids(PK) and many-to-one relations to simulate foreign keys.
Will hibernate detect in the mapping if I would make wrong inserts to a FK-property?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english,
Karl

Post subject: Re: Does Hibernate detect wrong inserts in a FK?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:16 am 
Expert
Expert

KarlW wrote:
Hi,

I'm new in hibernate and have a simple question. When I don't create any keys in a db itself, just in the mapping-files of hibernate I create ids(PK) and many-to-one relations to simulate foreign keys.
Will hibernate detect in the mapping if I would make wrong inserts to a FK-property?

Karl

If the database doesn't enforce your FK relationships, Hibernate won't either.

Please don't forget to give credit if/when you get helpful information.

Post subject: Re: Does Hibernate detect wrong inserts in a FK?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:18 am 
Expert
Expert

pksiv wrote:
KarlW wrote:
Hi,

Karl

If the database doesn't enforce your FK relationships, Hibernate won't either.

Actually, that's not true. When reading an object, if hibernate can't find the <many-to-one> key in the associated table, it will throw an exception. You can define this behavior using the not-found="exception|ignore" attribute on the mapping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:02 am 

So If I get you right, Hibernate works like that:

It saves an object o to table x.
After that I want to save another object ao to table y.
In the hibernate mapping of table y exists a many-to-one-relation with the first table x.
Before saving object ao to table y, hibernate will look in the database in table x if there is an object o.

Is that right???

Regards, Karl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:06 am 
Expert
Expert

KarlW wrote:
So If I get you right, Hibernate works like that:

It saves an object o to table x.
After that I want to save another object ao to table y.
In the hibernate mapping of table y exists a many-to-one-relation with the first table x.
Before saving object ao to table y, hibernate will look in the database in table x if there is an object o.

Is that right???

Regards, Karl

No. Hibernate won't make sure that the o exists in table x when saving ao to table y without a FK constraint on the database. But it will throw an exception when reading the object if not-found="ignore" isn't specified on the <many-to-one>

You don't really want Hibernate to do all those extra database reads do you ? That's what database constraints are for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:37 am 

You are right of course, thats the job of the database. What a stupid question I asked... With large datasets to execute a select-query every time couldn't be performant.

Thanks for your help,
Karl

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]