-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Unable to proxy a reference if not-found is set to ignore
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:50 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Need help with Hibernate? Read this first:
http://www.hibernate.org/ForumMailingli ... AskForHelp

Hibernate version: 3.0.5

Mapping documents:
Code:
  <class name="Person" table="TPerson">
    <id name="persistentIdentifier" type="java.lang.Long" column="PK_persistentIdentifier" access="property"/>
    <property name="Age" column="CAge0" type="java.lang.Integer" not-null="true" unique="false" access="property"/>
    <property name="Married" column="CMarried1" type="java.lang.Boolean" not-null="true" unique="false" access="property"/>
    <property name="Sex" column="CSex2" type="java.lang.Boolean" not-null="true" unique="false" access="property"/>
    <many-to-one name="Spouse" class="Person" column="FK_Spouse3_Person0" not-null="false" access="property" not-found="ignore"/>
    <property name="Name" column="CName4" type="java.lang.String" not-null="true" unique="false" access="property"/>
  </class>

I save two Person objects A and B, with one being the spouse of other and vice versa.

When I load the object A, the spouse reference is not being proxied but loaded when not-foun set to ignore for the many-to-one association. But if I remove it then it is proxied as expected.
Is this related to foreign key constraint or something like that? like one-to-one needs to have constraint=true otherwise the reference is initialized instead of proxied.

Can any one help?

Thanks,
Prasad
Code:

Post subject: Is lazy fetching disallowed when not-found is set to true?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:15 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Upon further inspection, when not-found is set true, ManyToOneType.isNullable() is returning true thus selecting LoadEvenListener.INTERNAL_LOAD_NULLABLE. But this type do not allow creation of proxies. Any idea why this restriction exists? Basically this means that not-found=ignore can't be used with lazy fetching strategy. Is that right?

The code is from 3.0.5 version.
EntityType.java:261
Code:
   protected final Object resolveIdentifier(Serializable id, SessionImplementor session)
   throws HibernateException {
      return session.internalLoad( getAssociatedEntityName(), id, eager, isNullable() );

SessionImpl.java:651
Code:

public Object internalLoad(String entityName, Serializable id, boolean eager, boolean nullable) throws HibernateException {
      // todo : remove
      LoadEventListener.LoadType type = nullable ?
         LoadEventListener.INTERNAL_LOAD_NULLABLE :
         eager ? LoadEventListener.INTERNAL_LOAD_EAGER : LoadEventListener.INTERNAL_LOAD_LAZY;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:31 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Yes, that is correct.

(Well, lazy="proxy" can't be used. lazy="true" can be.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:53 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks Gavin for the quick response. I have tried with the following combinations to understand completely when proxying is enabled and when not.

1. <many-to-one name="Spouse" class="Person" not-null="true" not-found="ignore" lazy="true" access="property"/> -->proxying is disabled

2. <many-to-one name="Spouse" class="Person" not-null="true" access="property"/> -->proxying is enabled

3. <many-to-one name="Spouse" class="Person" not-null="true" lazy="true" access="property"/> -->proxying is disabled

4. <many-to-one name="Spouse" class="Person" not-null="false" access="property"/> -->proxying is enabled

5. <many-to-one name="Spouse" class="Person" not-null="false" lazy="true" access="property"/> -->proxying is disabled

What is the difference between laze="true" or lazy="proxy"? Even with lazy=true and not-found=ignore, proxying is disabled. Can you please clarify?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:58 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

How about reading the documentation about lazy="true"? Among other things, it tells you you need the bytecode enhancer.

By the way, it should be very obvious why lazy="proxy" does not work with not-found="ignore". Think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:02 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Actually, I apologise, I gave you bad advice. We have removed lazy="true" from the <many-to-one> mapping in 3.1 'cos it had some problems.

There is no way to use lazy fetching with not-found="ignore".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:04 pm 
Regular
Regular

gavin, this post helped me solve an almost identical problem I've been having. Let me ask you, though, you mentioned above that

>>it should be very obvious why lazy="proxy" does not work with not-found="ignore"

Is that because the proxy object that serves as a place holder can't be null?
Can you elaborate on the rationale for that, please? To the uninitiated like myself, it would seem that you could leave those as null, but I am sure there's a good reason why not. (and, yes, I read the documentation about proxying, unless there's some place you can point to that I should have read more carefully).
Thanks so much,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:09 pm 
Regular
Regular

and being that there isn't a way to have lazy fetching with not-found="ignore", is the only way to avoid multiple selects in that case is to do a fetch outer join?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:09 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

aturetsky wrote:
gavin, this post helped me solve an almost identical problem I've been having. Let me ask you, though, you mentioned above that

>>it should be very obvious why lazy="proxy" does not work with not-found="ignore"

Is that because the proxy object that serves as a place holder can't be null?
Can you elaborate on the rationale for that, please? To the uninitiated like myself, it would seem that you could leave those as null, but I am sure there's a good reason why not. (and, yes, I read the documentation about proxying, unless there's some place you can point to that I should have read more carefully).
Thanks so much,
Alex

To determine if the object should be built with a proxy instance or with a null, you have to hit the other database table. In which case you may as well just load the object on the other side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:33 pm 
Regular
Regular

aha, ok, now it makes sense - thanks for your lightning-fast response. so my only option to avoid n+1 selects, then, is fetch outer join, ha?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:04 am 
Regular
Regular

shucks, left outer join doesn't seem to help here either. I searched high and low through the documentation, but I couldn't see anything that said that left outer join solution to the n+1 problem would not work where not-found="ignore". Please help. Thanks so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:06 am 
Regular
Regular

btw, when I say it doesn't work I mean I still get multiple selects. Let me know if it's not supposed to work in this case, or if it's meant to work, in which case I will post my code.

Post subject: no way to prevent n+1 with not-found="ignore" ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:08 pm 
Regular
Regular

I haven't received a response. Is that because I should post this as a separate topic? Yet, this strongly appears to be an issue with not-found="ignore". I tried everything and yet I still get the multiple selects issue, with join="fetch" being ignored. Now, in the past what appeared to me as a bug turned out to be a hibernate feature or an oversight on my part, but this one certainly looks a lot like a bug. If I am wrong, I apologize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:45 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

What is the code and mapping that causes the multiple selects? You have not given enough information.

Post subject: code posted for the not-found="ignore" causing n+1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:08 am 
Regular
Regular

Thanks for your willingness to help, gavin

Here are the mappings (just to eliminate all factors, I resorted to specifying left outer join in three different ways: outer-join="true" fetch="join" and in hql)

Code:
<hibernate-mapping package="smefs.pojo">
    <class name="BuyerMgr" table="V_BUYER_MGR">
        <composite-id name="id" class="BuyerMgrKey">
            <key-property name="buyerCode" column="BUYER_CODE" type="string"/>
            <key-property name="secGroupCd" column="SEC_GROUP_CD" type="string"/>
            <key-property name="sourceSystem" column="SOURCE_SYSTEM" type="string"/>
        </composite-id>
        <property name="buyerName" column="BUYER_NAME" type="string" />
        <many-to-one name="userIdentity" formula="BUYER_USER_ID" class="UserIdentity" not-found="ignore" outer-join="true" fetch="join"/>
        <property name="buyerUserId" column="BUYER_USER_ID" type="string" insert="false" update="false"/>
    </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Code:
<hibernate-mapping package="smefs.pojo">
    <class name="UserIdentity" table="T32_USER_IDENTITY_REF">
        <id name="userId" column="USER_ID" type="string"/>
        <property name="firstName" column="FIRST_NAME" type="string"  not-null="true" />
        <property name="lastName" column="LAST_NAME" type="string"  not-null="true" />
        <property name="timestamp" column="TIMESTAMP" type="timestamp"  not-null="true" />
    </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Here's the code I'm running:
Code:
return HibernateUtil.getCurrentSession().createQuery("from BuyerMgr bm left join fetch bm.userIdentity").list();

And here's what I get:

Hibernate: select buyermgr0_.BUYER_CODE as BUYER1_1_0_, buyermgr0_.SEC_GROUP_CD as SEC2_1_0_, buyermgr0_.SOURCE_SYSTEM as SOURCE3_1_0_, useridenti1_.USER_ID as USER1_8_1_, buyermgr0_.BUYER_NAME as BUYER4_1_0_, buyermgr0_.BUYER_USER_ID as BUYER5_1_0_, buyermgr0_.BUYER_USER_ID as formula0_0_, useridenti1_.FIRST_NAME as FIRST2_8_1_, useridenti1_.LAST_NAME as LAST3_8_1_, useridenti1_.TIMESTAMP as TIMESTAMP8_1_ from V_BUYER_MGR buyermgr0_ left outer join T32_USER_IDENTITY_REF useridenti1_ on buyermgr0_.BUYER_USER_ID=useridenti1_.USER_ID
Hibernate: select useridenti0_.USER_ID as USER1_8_0_, useridenti0_.FIRST_NAME as FIRST2_8_0_, useridenti0_.LAST_NAME as LAST3_8_0_, useridenti0_.TIMESTAMP as TIMESTAMP8_0_ from T32_USER_IDENTITY_REF useridenti0_ where useridenti0_.USER_ID=?
Hibernate: select useridenti0_.USER_ID as USER1_8_0_, useridenti0_.FIRST_NAME as FIRST2_8_0_, useridenti0_.LAST_NAME as LAST3_8_0_, useridenti0_.TIMESTAMP as TIMESTAMP8_0_ from T32_USER_IDENTITY_REF useridenti0_ where useridenti0_.USER_ID=?
and then a whole bunch of these identical selects

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next