-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate + Firebird
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:00 am 
Regular
Regular

Basically, what I'd like to know here is: Who has used Hibernate + Firebird? Please, if you have, tell me.

And if you have used it, have you used blob fields? Have you written to them? Has it worked?

I'm asking because there's almost a week I'm trying to simply write a content to a blob field, and it doesn't work. I have even asked here twice:
http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.ph ... ebird+blob
http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.ph ... ebird+blob

I have no answer and no solution, and I must do it a way or another. It seems the problem is not with firebird or its driver or hibernate, but the combination of them all. By now, I already believe there's an issue or something. So, if you have done it before, please tell me and prove me wrong. Pleeease don't let me give up hibernate.

Post subject: blobs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

I am not Firebird expert, but I do not suggest giving up Hibernate because of BLOBs. In general blob-s work quite differently on different RDBMS and even Hibernate tries to address those differences I suggest simply resort to good old JDBC.

Connection cnct = hibernateSession.connection();
And then do whatever Firebird demands, perhaps like this:
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.p ... &id=faq#10

SourceLabs - dependable OpenSource systems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:42 pm 
Regular
Regular

I entered jaybird users list, and found out someone reporting a bug about this: the same problem I have. But I tried all new versions and still seems bugged. I emailed them asking about this possible bug and where to get it patched, but still I got no answer. I'll wait till tomorrow before I use the JDBC solucion.

Now, let me just ask you one more thing... when manipulating the tables which have blob fields, I must do all data manipulation using JDBC, or I should use JDBC for this field only? The first option seems terrible, since I have a lot of tables with blobs. The second seems better, but unsafe for transactions. What do you think?

Anyway, thanks very much... let's say I was almost successful in writing a program withou JDBC means :S

Thanks

Post subject: blobs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

I suggest Blobs only. And there is no problem with transactions because it all happens inside of the same transaction, provided that that you have a DAO object that has code like this:

public void saveMyObject( SomeObjectWithBlob o ){
Session s = getCurrentHibernateSession();
s.saveOrUpdate( o );//everything is saved except the BLOB
Connection c = s.connection();
// below we persist the BLOB field(s)
}

SourceLabs - dependable OpenSource systems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:33 pm 
Regular
Regular

Thank you very much. I guess that's my way to go, since I just confirmed the bug has not yet been fixed.

Thanks for your kindness and patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:08 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

A better way is to find the proper solution to do it in plain JDBC, and then wrap that nicely in a FireBirdBlobUserType.
Your app won't have to handle blob manually this way.
You can even post that to the wiki area for the others :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:42 am 
Regular
Regular

I'll try emmanuel, but actually I don't have a clue about how to do it... I'm not exactly a java programmer, but I'll try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:59 am 
Regular
Regular

I did it here the way they teach in:

http://firebird.sourceforge.net/index.p ... &id=faq#10

my code's a mess! it's terrible!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]