-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Mapping Hell
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:53 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

All, I am pulling my hair out over this one!

COMPANY <1--*> COMPANY_MODULE_ASSOC <*--*> MODULE <1--*> PAGE

COMPANY_MODULE_ASSOC is not just a join table, it has an extra field called "enabled".

I went with the recomendations located here:
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/reference/en/html/components.html and created a CompanyModuleAssoc class and mapped the above relationship like this:

Code:
<set name="companyModuleAssociations" lazy="false" table="company_module_assoc">
    <key column="company_id"/>
    <composite-element class="CompanyModuleAssoc">
        <property name="enabled" type="boolean" not-null="true"/>
        <many-to-one name="module" class="Module" column="module_id" not-null="true"/>
    </composite-element>
</set>

Great. But now, a company can customize the content on one of the module pages. This means that there is a table named "CUSTOMIZED_PAGES" that is associated with the COMPANY_MODULE_ASSOC table.

How the heck do I do this in Hibernate? company_id, module_id and page_id would be a composite id in the CUSTOMIZED_PAGES table. Can I map a relationship to a composite?

Best Regards,

Joshua

Post subject: Looking for help
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:39 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

All,

I am pretty stuck on this. This relationship is pretty out of the ordinary. Is there any other information that I can provide that would help?

Best Regards,

Joshua

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:45 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I have no idea what you are trying to do, but almost certainly you will have more success mapping the class as an entity, instead of as a composite-element.

Post subject: Let me try to explain this differently
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:07 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Gavin,

I will try to make this as clear as possible. I have included my table definitions below.

My application contains a number of MODULEs. Each MODULE has a number of PAGEs associated with it. A COMPANY can have MODULEs turned on using the MODULE table. This table is essentially a many-to-many table with an extra column, "enabled". I got this mapping to work by using a component (see my previous post in this thread).

Companies are able to customize the content of the PAGEs by specifying custom html in the CUSTOMIZED_PAGES table.

I have been unable to create a mapping between COMPANY_MODULE_ASSOC and the
CUSTOMIZED_PAGES table. As you can see below, CUSTOMIZED_PAGES also has a reference back to PAGE. Can you please help me with this?

Regards,

Joshua

Table Definitions:
Code:
MODULE
--------------------
module_id (PK)
module_name

PAGE
--------------------
page_id (PK)
module_id (FK)
page_name

COMPANY_MODULE_ASSOC
--------------------
company_id (PK,FK)
module_id  (PK,FK)
enabled

COMPANY
--------------------
company_id (PK)
company_name

CUSTOMIZED_PAGES
--------------------
company_id (PK,FK)
module_id  (PK,FK)
page_id    (PK,FK)
custom_html

Post subject: Map as an entity instead of a composite?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:06 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Can you map the many-to-many relationship as an entity when the many-to-many table has an extra column? Looking in the docs, I have always seen it mapped using a component.

I am really stuck on this. I would appreciate your help.

Joshua

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]