-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is it possible to order by computed columns without formula?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:57 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Need help with Hibernate? Read this first:
http://www.hibernate.org/ForumMailingli ... AskForHelp

Hibernate version: 3.0.5

Mapping documents:

<hibernate-mapping>
<class name="com.farbeyond.ejb.research.model.OrderDetail"
table="OrderDetails"

<property name="totalBruto"
type="double"
formula="Quantity * UnitPrice"
update="false"
insert="false"/>
</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Name and version of the database you are using: SQL Server 7.0

Hi all,

I need to order records by computed column, in this case the column is 'totalBruto' which is computed using Quantity * UnitPrice formula. To order records I use the following criteria :

criteria.addOrder(Order.asc("totalBruto"));

So far so good.

The problem is when user changes the field Quantity or UnitPrice I also want to recompute the totalBruto field right away and present it to user instantly. So I have to code the formula somewhere else in the OrderDetails class. I think from maintenance point of view this is cumbersome & error-prone approach because I have to maintain the formula in hibernate mapping & OrderDetails class.

I try to remove the totalBruto setter method and instead of writing the following totalBruto getter :

public double getTotalBruto()
{
return totalBruto;
}

I write the following totalBruto getter which directly returns the formula :

public double getTotalBruto()
{
return quantity * unitPrice;
}

I also remove the property elements of totalBruto field in the hibernate mapping.

The latter approach seems much easier to maintain since I only have to maintain the formula in the getTotalBruto method. But then I won't be able to order records by totalBruto field.

Is there any solutions for this or am I missing something ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Setya

Post subject: Why map?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:19 am 
Expert
Expert

I suggest removing the 'totalBruto' mapping from H mapping and have formula in one place: gettter method of the class

public double getTotalBruto() {
return quantity * unitPrice;
}

And for sorting, simply do it in the code: just implement interface Comparable on the class or provide custom Comparator to the Collections.sort method.

SourceLabs - dependable OpenSource systems

Post subject: Re: Why map?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:43 am 
Regular
Regular

kgignatyev wrote:
And for sorting, simply do it in the code: just implement interface Comparable on the class or provide custom Comparator to the Collections.sort method.

That's not going to work if you need to fetch paged results with .setFirstResult() / .setMaxResults().

My first thoughts were to try a custom UserType or by treating a TotalBruto class as a mapped component. I haven't explored this any deeper though to see if this is even possible. Certainly the mapping part isn't hard, but getting the order correct seems non-trivial.

My other thought is that for this specific case it probably doesn't matter. What are the chances that the definition of a totalBruto is ever going to change? From the description given it seems highly unlikely and not really a maintenance crisis if it does.

Post subject: Is it possible to order by computed columns without formula?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:54 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

jdl wrote:
kgignatyev wrote:

That's not going to work if you need to fetch paged results with .setFirstResult() / .setMaxResults().

My first thoughts were to try a custom UserType or by treating a TotalBruto class as a mapped component. I haven't explored this any deeper though to see if this is even possible. Certainly the mapping part isn't hard, but getting the order correct seems non-trivial.

My other thought is that for this specific case it probably doesn't matter. What are the chances that the definition of a totalBruto is ever going to change? From the description given it seems highly unlikely and not really a maintenance crisis if it does.

Thanks for your responses,

The formula I presented above is just a simple formula to describe my point. Actually in the real world I have a lot more complex formulas which are computed from a lot of fields in the class. My temporary solution now is to use the later approach and not give the user an option to order by the total bruto, but I don't like this solution since it will reduce the user-friendliness of my applications.

Any solutions are welcome.

Regards,

Setya

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]