-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: EnumType.nullsafeSet() throws NullPointerException (beta4)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:09 pm 

Ironic, I know...

I'm not sure if this should go in the main forum or in this forum, but since this class is only distributed with the annotations package, I've posted it here.

Since updating to the Annotations beta4 release, I am now getting a NullPointerException during session flush:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.hibernate.type.EnumType.nullSafeSet(EnumType.java:120)
at org.hibernate.type.CustomType.nullSafeSet(CustomType.java:141)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.BasicEntityPersister.dehydrate(BasicEntityPersister.java:1617)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.BasicEntityPersister.dehydrate(BasicEntityPersister.java:1594)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.BasicEntityPersister.insert(BasicEntityPersister.java:1850)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.BasicEntityPersister.insert(BasicEntityPersister.java:2200)

Here's the code for nullSafeSet(), beta4 release:
Code:
   public void nullSafeSet(PreparedStatement st, Object value, int index) throws HibernateException, SQLException {
      if (!guessed) guessType( st, index );
      if (value == null) {
         if (IS_TRACE_ENABLED) log.debug("Binding null to parameter: " + index);
         st.setNull( index, sqlType );
      }
      boolean isOrdinal = isOrdinal(sqlType);
      if (isOrdinal) {
         int ordinal = ( (Enum) value ).ordinal();
         if ( IS_TRACE_ENABLED ) {
            log.debug("Binding '" + ordinal + "' to parameter: " + index);
         }
         st.setObject( index, new Integer(ordinal), sqlType );
      }
      else {
         String enumString = ( (Enum) value ).name();
         if ( IS_TRACE_ENABLED ) {
            log.debug("Binding '" + enumString + "' to parameter: " + index);
         }
         st.setObject( index, enumString, sqlType );
      }
   }

With casual inspection, it is quite clear that this method is going to crash every time value is null. The source code for the beta3 version of method reveals that it previously handled null correctly, but the it has been completely rewritten in beta4.

Anyone else had this problem? I searched for "EnumType" and "nullsafeSet" in the issue tracker and could not find any matching issues. I'll try hacking my local copy of Hibernate and see if that clears it up.

Post subject: EnumType.nullsafeSet() throws NullPointerException (beta4)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:58 am 

Did you end up filing a bug on this? This definitely looks like a problem. I haven't actually tried this code yet, since I was having trouble getting nullSafeGet to correctly guess my backing type using Oracle. I just submitted a patch for that bug. The fix for this looks trivial; just return early after the call to st.setNull. I can update my patch and add this fix as a "rider", since I'm in this code already...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:12 am 

As promised, I updated my patch to ANN-63 to include a fix for this. If you haven't already patched your local version, give my patch a try to see if that works for you.

http://opensource.atlassian.com/project ... Data.patch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:20 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Fixed. I'm a bit ashamed of this one :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:46 pm 

Thanks guys! Shaug, I didn't use your patch specifically, but I did recompile EnumType with an else clause around the non-null portion of nullSafeSet, and it worked for me. I was preparing to log a bug/fix on it and decided to check the forum one last time, and by then you and emmanuel had replied.

I think this is the first time I ever participated in an open-source project, and I like it. Without the source code, I would have had to develop a workaround for problem (not so difficult in this case, just make sure none of the enums are NULL), and might still be stuck.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]