-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Purpose of new Stateless Session
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:36 pm 

Dear All,

What is the purpose of the new StatelessSession available in Hibernate 3.1 beta 1? Is there going to be an equivalent 'openStatelessSession' in EJB3's EntityManager?

Let us say I am developing a Web application using JSF and EJB3. Typically I would not want any of the objects returned by the EJB3 layer to be associated with a persistence context, as otherwise when I pass them to my JSF layer (which I assume is valid as EJBs are now POJO value objects) and JSF updates them, EJB3 will attempt to serialize them - even though the user may not have clicked 'Save' in the UI (eg. there may be some validation errors, or the user may be in the middle of a 'wizard'-style interaction)

Is this the intent of StatelessSession? To make it easy to use Hibernate's mapping functionality without also having to worry about its lifecycle management capabilities, in situations where the lifecycle is, effectively, being managed by someone else (in this case, JSF).

emmanuel has commented that StatelessSession has been done for non OLTP processing, but this doesn't really answer my question (not least because I don't know what OLTP stands for!): is it going to be there in EJB3? Is it applicable to the scenario I explained above?

Or have I gotten the wrong end of this completely?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:32 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Your assumptions are wrong,
When you will wrok with your objects at the JSF level, they 'll be detached, because your epsistence context will most likely be closed.

Like I said StatelessSession are here for non-OnLineTransactionProcess (aka Batch processing) where memory consumption and speed is critical. StatelessSession has some drawbacks, so don't use it unless your need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:33 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

And it will not be part of the EJB3, since it's a corner case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:33 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

And cross posting is bad, I have to work twice as much ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:31 am 
Beginner
Beginner

As hibernate is not going to update objects until you tell Hibeernate to do so.

I have used annotated POJOs with JSF in same way you described and it wroked like breeze.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]